One of last week's activities was straw painting. You know, it's the kind where you blow through the straw at puddles of paint on the paper. The paint will drip in all sorts of directions, making designs and all sorts of unrecognizable things. This was great news for the girls, who love the very idea of "activity". They busily gather all our special things - our activity table and chairs - and ask how they can help get things started. Paints they especially love; the smell, the need for smocks, the squish of it on their fingers. Yes, paint day is like a dream come true. So anyway, straw painting was the plan.

Except that whoever writes about these things in activity books forgot to mention that you have to
dilute the paint for it to work! When I gave the girls their straws and told them to go at it, I expected paint to start flying everywhere. But nothing happened. They blew, and blew but just stared at the paper in confused wonder. I told them to try it without the straws, thinking that perhaps their aim was off or something, but still nothing. I finally held out my hand with a swagger that only a mom can produce and took a deep breath, took the straws and prepared to amaze them with the upcoming spatter of paint.


I blew, and blew. Until my face turned blue. It's true.
Then, after several blows the light bulb came on and I diluted the paint, but that did not happen before samantha's eager but short attention span expired. They still play
Emma, who is always more interested in just sticking her fingers in the paint, was happy for a change in activity, especially if she sensed it might lead to finger painting. I gave up my dreams of spatter paint and let them finger paint for a while.


But then...look at what emma produced! Granted, I helped her conceptualize the idea and helped her think through applying the colors - instead of her usual slapdash style of painting - but she honestly did it all! I think it's the prettiest rainbow I've seen in a while. Much better than any straw could have produced!
1 comment:
I'd love to have a rainbow picture from those dollies. Your title makes me want to teach them the song. I can just hear their sweet little voices singing.
You're so awesome to let them do art projects all the time. You'll have to encourage plays when they get older. We actually watched a home video where you were in charge of several plays with Holly and KT. Holly and KT were 5 and 6 or 4 and 5. Katie could not say her R's and she had all the lines with R's in them. HILARIOUS. Yes...we will start making copies of them for you. Another one you 4 were outside making a snowman. Another you were out skating Christmas Day. Fun, fun times. :) I love you...MOM
Post a Comment