Thursday, November 06, 2008

the big bad okc zoo...and another good restaurant

I'm sorting losing track of days, but I'm still committed to posting pictures on the blog, so here goes...

We made it eventually to the zoo with our big (and clean!) pumpkins in tow as our admission fee. (It actually didn't save us any money, but don't you think it's more fun to pay with a pumpkin than with cash? I thought so too.) Apparently, the pumpkins had to be the size of your head to be counted for admission, so luckily none of us had heads that were too large and our pumpkins worked fine.
We were all excited about the zoo. Since we didn't have a double stroller, or one of those cool tot-transporting wagons I saw all the time in the States, we rented this cool - and very unstable - buggy. It worked well and the girls thought it was a great little car. Even my mom thought it was great as it helped her take a load off her feet after the donkey exhibit. I was going to try to fit in there myself, but I decided against it. I'm not going to post tons of pictures from our time at the zoo, because you guys already know what those animals look like. :) but here are a few...I'm not exactly sure what animal statue this was, but my kids sure seemed to love it. The two elephants who live in oklahoma city were unfortunately absent during our trip to the zoo. They went on a trip to tulsa to try to have some babies. There were lots of signs posted around the zoo wishing the mama elephants good luck and telling all about their adventures in tulsa. We had a bit of explaining to do to the girls, about why the elephants weren't there.

If you ask emma and samantha where the elephants were at the zoo, now they will tell you, "The elephants went on a trip to find a husband!" You can't be having babies now, without a husband!

Samantha and mimi looking at some pretty birds (though I think samantha was still making the bird sound when the picture was taken...)Did you guys do the penny thing when you were kids? Where you put the penny in the machine and turn it around and around and it turns your penny into a little souvenir thing? Well, both girls did that. They both got gorillas, and now that I think about it, I think they are lost but that's ok. It was fun at the time.
And the meerkats, just because they're cute. Super cute.
We were exhausted after walking around the zoo, and didn't leave until just before 2pm. We decided to eat a late lunch at my favorite sandwich place ever, City Bites. (It does seem like I'm the one always picking the restaurants, huh?) City Bites is another local place with great and mouthwatering sandwiches. My personal favorite is the Fleetwood, with italian sausage, pepperoni, mozzerella cheese, olives, green peppers and spicy ranch sauce. It's lovely, lovely, lovely.

It's also a fun and unique place that sells giant cookies, so the girls had a great time too.


Aaaah, America...the land where eating out at a restaurant is relaxing and enjoyable! No smoky rooms! No drunken toasts the next table over! No photo ops by the crowd just as you're putting that bite in your mouth! Yes, the eating out experience in America is one to be savored.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you I was holding one of the little gorilla coins for, I think, Mantha that day in my pocket. When I saw your post, I ran into my room and saw it gleaming on the dresser. It was a happy moment that I was able to retrieve this little memory.

Thank you for visiting with me and encouraging me. I can tell you did what you said you would do. I love you, little new mother-to be...MOM