Last Thursday (just a few days ago), I took a trip...all by myself...to the capital for a quick doctors visit and some routine tests. The emphasis on the above sentence is that I went ALL BY MYSELF. No kids, no husband, just me. It's amazingly easy to travel by yourself!
The day went a little something like this:
- Leave my house by 6:15am to catch the three hour train. While on the train, I had those three hours to do whatever I want. I had lovely time to read, pray, listen to music, and meditate. Completely uninterrupted - and it was wonderful. I savored those moments of quiet.
-Arrived in the city around 10:30 and hopped in a cab to go the hospital. I was planning on getting a few blood tests and a complete ultrasound done. I met with doctor (who grew up in Tulsa), got my tests done, had the ultrasound, and was done by about 1. The ultrasound was great because this was my first chance to actually see the baby! The previous ultrasounds we had done in our city were done Asia-style...which means that the screen is located in a place that makes it impossible for the mother to see anything.
But since this was at an international hospital, it was set up the way it is in America - where you lay down on the table and stare at a big TV screen and watch the whole thing. I was so pleased and moved with being able to see her. I watched her hands open shut, move around, and kick. It was so special to me, and brought home the reality that I knew was true but just hadn't seen yet. This ultrasound was not inconclusive , and we truly will be bringing a baby sister to emma and samantha.
After the hospital, I headed to TGI Fridays for lunch where I dined on a big plate of ribs and read Pride and Prejudice. (there's an interesting combination, huh?!) I had a leisurely lunch, took my time, and ended up spending several hours and more than a few free refills there. The crisp, cool air was just chilly enough to turn my cheeks red but not actually make me cold, so I decided to walk down to the import store. I loaded up on canned goods that are usually hard to bring home via airplane because of their weight and then walked to Starbucks.
Mango-passion fruit frappuchino, chocolate chip muffin, and more pride and prejucide. Several chapters later, I picked up a sandwich to-go at Subway and headed to the train station to wait on my three hour train home.
I thought the trip would be exhausting, with over six hours being on a train...but it was actually just the opposite. I felt like I really got away, and had great times of reflection and prayer. I came home feeling refreshed and thankful that I had some time alone. I didn't even think I particularly needed the time alone, but once I had it, I realized how good it was for me.
So there you have it - I had to write all about it because it was such a great day for me.
More from America coming soon...
3 comments:
That sounds delightful, Rach! I'm glad that you had all that time to read, reflect, pr and eat! I'm thankful it wasn't stressful. After such a fun-fill time in the US, I'm sure a day away was wonderful!
sounds like you had a wonderful time!!! we're so excited about your precious 3rd little girl. emma and samantha will be great big sisters!!
Rachel: The trip sounded just wonderful. I have had times like that--so refreshing and at the end you are so glad to see all you left behind. You are a rare little somebody--how I love you. My intention is to e-mail you right away--I somehow have a million things to tell you. Love you all--Nana
Post a Comment