Tuesday, November 04, 2008

casting my vote...

I'm not really very into politics. I'll just say that clearly.

I've always voted republican because that's just what people like us do; republicans tend to support moral issues that I personally support, so I vote for them.

Not much has changed in my thinking, but a little has. Thanks to my good friend John, who should be at some university teaching politics in another life, I've thought some about what I really think and want government to be.

And I think at the heart of it, I support smaller, more limited government. I don't want the governement involved in every little part of my life. I support being wise with people's money and not spending it wastefully. I support honesty and openness in the government (which, I'm sorry to say, is one area neither party seems to have mastered well).

That being said, I also support work for climate change, alternate energy sources, and other global humanitiarian issues - because that's simply being a good steward of the things we have been given. Should we live lavish, wasteful lives while debiting it all to future generations? Should we continue to accumulate things at the expense of others? I think not. But I don't really think of that as a democratic issue; to me, that's more of a Christian issue.

Anyway, that's about all the deep thinking I've done about the election (mostly, because john can do the deep thinking for me and then just give me bullet points. I do great with bullet points.) And I'm not voting - gasp! - because oklahoma will have no problem carrying McCain, which is who I would have voted for, and also because I didn't plan well enough ahead to vote absentee. I'm not crazy about McCain, but I'm way less crazy about Obama.

But today, I was reading Meghan McCain's blog (John McCain's daughter) and I was so touched by one of her posts. What touched me the most was how strongly she believed and supported her father. I loved the emotion in it, not because he was the guy running for president, but because here's a little girl who loves and admires her father. She's surely seen the worst of him, and still throws her whole life into supporting him. So, just out of admiration for her admiration of him, I'm going to copy part of her post.

And - be sure you vote today! What a great American opportunity!


"Musings on Politics from a Pop Culture Girl"POSTED BY MEGHAN

When I started the Blogette last year, I wanted to show people what happens behind the scenes in a national campaign. I did this because I love my family and I knew that it might surprise people to see how normal this experience can be. I know this has been a difficult campaign for a lot of people. I know there are many who just want to get past the last eight years. And I know there are people who are so desperate for change they will do anything to get what they think is a better deal.

I make no excuses for the state of politics today. But I want everyone to know that my dad is more than ready to be the President this country needs right now. Everyone always assumed Iraq would be this campaign's number one hurdle. The only thing I respect more than people's opinions about how to proceed in Iraq are the men and women who are bravely serving our country in harm's way every single day. My Dad is the only candidate with real military experience who has the support of an overwhelming majority of current service members. And if you really want to know how much I trust him, remember that I have two brothers who are serving, one of whom is about to redeploy. Of course, all of this is easy to miss, because this election is clearly about moving past the current administration and fixing the economy.

If you honestly think someone with extremely limited experience will solve the severe problems we have in this country then, by all means, vote for Senator Obama. If you want to give complete control of our government to the Democrats who have made a real mess of things over the last two years they've controlled Congress, then go ahead and vote for Senator Obama. And, if you really believe that our taxes should be higher and that government should have a bigger role in our lives, vote for Senator Obama.

Some of you have asked me how I can support my Dad or call myself a Republican when times are so tough, especially since my own personal beliefs don't always sync with the GOP. Well, I have asked myself that same question a lot. But I support my Dad through it all because I know this: my Dad will be unlike ANY other Republican president. My father has the experience, leadership skills, and proven dedication to serve. I only wish people could understand that Dad will bring about the change everyone is so hungry for in a much more real way than Senator Obama could ever possibly hope to do at this stage in his political career.

So, forget everything you've heard or seen. Just know this: everyone wants change. And while some people can only talk about it, my dad will bring it. Don't give up on him. He is never going to give up on you. And by you, I mean every American. Regardless of age, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation or political ideology; a vote for John McCain is a vote to change our country for the better. Don't hope for a better future. Vote for one.

(taken from http://www.mccainblogette.com/postings/102808_1231.shtml)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you read her blog. She said so eloquently what I believe with all my heart..and, without the emotion I sometimes (hmm) bring with my statements and idealogy. I have been so sad at how easily some Americans have dismissed John McCain due to his age, his party, or his choice of a running mate...a woman I am so proud to support. There are more things on the ballot for you to have voted on that were important..and I'm just upset with myself for not doing more to find out how you all could have filled out an absentee ballot.

With all that said, I know you are excited to know that your baby sisters are coming home to go vote with me and I know Dustin is planning on voting as well. This will be the first time all of them will have voted in a Presidential election. I know you have before..and, I will never forget You, Dustin, Daddy, and I watching the election when George Sr. lost to Clinton. You and I cried and Dustin and Dad were in a state of shock as well. That 4 years (or was it 8..it seemed like 8) was shock and awe for sure..even though that phrase was not from that party. It was at that moment when I realized that Dad and I had shaped a desire in both You and Dustin to care about "moral" issues and your inner spirit was already giving you discernment about how to live your life.

So..for sure you will hear from me when it's all over. So..just be expecting a call. : ) Josh is so understanding of the "calls" you get from me and I love him for that. When you call Emma and Mantha and you are my age, it will be so important to you that their husbands let you hear their sweet voices on the other side of the world.

As always, we love you, Rachel.

P.S. Going to go check on nana and I will tell her about your blog and get her computer on.

Anonymous said...

Rachel: Keep blogging--it is a bright bright bright spot in our lives. I absolutely loved so much in your blog--the pictures--the pumpkins, the hose pictures--your description of Ted's--your love for City Bites (which you know I share)--the wonderful blog from McCain's daughter. You will be interested that every county in Oklahoma went for McCain and the Republicans took the House and Senante for the first time in Oklahoma History. Obama thinks it is because he did not campaign in Oklahoma--but I have print out of all the prayer schedules for 40 days--and then at the last for 40 nights--I m thinking God is using our state as an encourager and a witness to "turning around". Don't tell anyone that or they will think I am a looney--that God blesses only Oklahoma. I don't think that but I know how sincerely Oklahomans have p for turn around. How I love all of you--you are so beautiful in my world. Nan