Sunday, November 02, 2008

the long trek overr

So our odyssey to America began on a United flight (because we used frequent flyer miles to purchase our tickets - we are not wealthy enough to just drop the cash to fly home for vacation!) After being re-routed a few times, we ended up flying into San Fransisco instead of Chicago as we had planned. That actually ended up working out okay; even though there was an extra flight, the long flight was only 11 hours instead of 13. It doesn't seem like much, but we were sure glad to get off that plane!

Our flight took us over the Pacific Ocean, and incidentally, over a typhoon. Yep, a stinkin typhoon! If I were a pilot, I wouldn't fly over a typhoon, but I suppose I'm not a pilot. We had four hours of serious, typhoon-induced turbulence! But the girls actually did great on the flight. We had fun snacks, fun activities, and enough trips to the bathroom to occupy most of that 11 hours!And then, after many hours, our plane started its descent to Oklahoma City. I don't know what it is, but I love flying into Oklahoma City. Maybe it's the fact that we can usually find our homes from the air as we fly in; maybe it's because there are always so many familiar faces waiting for us when we land; maybe it's just the feel of familairity, but it's great.

We got in late, so my fab brother ran to Arby's and picked us up some tasty roast beef to munch on before heading to bed. I'm telling you, if I could count the number of times in the last two years that I've thought, "I'm thinking Arby's", you would be shocked! We settled in for the first two weeks at my (rachel's) parents house.

The next day, we began our American diet...which basically consisted of no diet at all! For breakfast, we headed to my all-time favorite breakfast place - a little hole in the wall place called Coits. My grandpa and grandma always used to take me here when I was small, and I've just never gotten over my love for the place.

Here's one of the main reasons - the best Cokes in the entire world. They are served in these great frosty mugs with no ice so they don't get watered down. This is pure Coke goodness, with free refills, and fresh mugs each time. Mom, Dad, and my Nana all accompanied Josh and I to Coits, and while I did some work on my biscuits and gravy, Emma and my dad (lovingly called "G") played on the bar stools. I think breakfast lasted almost 3 hours...and I won't tell you how many Frosty-mug Cokes I had! The girls and my beautiful nana. She's got to be the coolest nana in the world!

After all that breakfast wore off, the girls enjoyed playing in the grass ( a shocking event for them; in asia you aren't really allowed to play in the grass....) and with my two younger sisters who never seem to run out of energy.Wishing I was 21 again......and then inside, where my parents had bought tons of new toys for the girls to play with!Samantha and my mom ("mimi")

So much to do, so little time! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures really tell the true story. We loved having you all back where you are loved so very much. It was so amazing..I'm the first to admit I did not want it to be over..but I do have a thankful heart. I love you..mom

O Fam said...

4 hours of turbulence? I think I would have needed something STRONG to drink. Or, deplaned.

Looks like a fun trip!!