Thursday, April 30, 2009

40 lessons and other thoughts...

Last week, Emma made it through 40 lessons of her reading program. I wondered if we'd make it there at all this month, because several days in between she only wanted to do one lesson a day.  

There's nothing wrong with one lesson a day; I was just surprised, because she had been wanting to do two or sometimes even three so she could get to her prize faster.  But anyway, she made it.  I am really proud of her; I think she's doing a great job and is really getting a good handle on the material. 

Her prize for reaching lesson 40 was getting to go the gift store down the street and choose her own set of fork, spoon and chopsticks.  (This was a special "name egg prize" for some of the other children at the easter egg hunt.  When emma was fascinated by them, I decided it would be a good prize for her too!)  She ended up choosing snoopy because of her passionate feelings about dogs.  Plus, they were pink.  


Here are some general thoughts I have about this - because I know you all want to know.

I'm glad I started this reading thing before I started "real" homeschool.  Why?  Because I think it has given me a good idea of what works for me, how I work in certain schedules, and how emma responds in "schoolish" situations.  I have often been apprehensive about homeschooling because I fear my own inconsistency.  Being inconsistent is a problem, but when it only affects you, it's not such a big deal.  When it affects your child's education, it's a bigger problem.    I've had lingering doubts on whether or not I will be consistent enough to be able to provide high quality education to them.

Our journey through this reading program in part has been motivated by my fear of inconsistency.  I wanted to prove to myself that I could start something and stick with it, day in and day out.  I've been thankful and pleased that so far, we've really stuck with it.  

I've also learned that if I am responsible to prepare everything, the odds are much higher that I won't be as consistent.  I can deliver a "knock-em-dead" creative craft once a week, but doing something every day?  Even if it's small?  Not so much.  I tend to go for the blockbuster event than the slow-and-steady of everydayness.  BUT this reading program is like, "Say these words to your child: ".  I don't even have to think about what I'm going to say! I just say what they tell me!  So that has really helped me.  

I've learned that a lot can happen when I structure my time.  I've been amazed at how much I can fit into a smaller amount of time if I'm disciplined in using that time.  

Probably the most important thing I feel like I've learned so far is that I can't live my dreams through Emma.  I love reading.  I love accomplishment.  But I have to be able to separate those feelings when I'm teaching her to read.  I've reminded myself a lot: "It's ok if we don't speed through this.  It's ok if she doesn't pick it up right away. Go at her pace.  It's ok.  It's ok.  It's ok..."  Those have been helpful thoughts as I think about starting "school" in the next year or so.  

I want to do a good job with teaching my kids; I feel like it's so important to learn and so important for parents to be with their kids...so combining those two things together - me helping my kids learn - is such an exciting thought.  But even though I feel overwhelmed sometimes, I'm thankful for these lessons I've started learning.  

And I'm thankful for all you homeschooling moms out there who will be getting lots of questions from me in the future!  

3 comments:

mlambchopper said...

Well, I never home schooled, but I have no doubts that you can. I admire greatly all the people I know who have home schooled their kiddos. All of them have done a wonderful job.

I am proud of you for even "planning" on taking it on. The little bit I've been around Emma and Samantha, I know they will love having school with you. YOU CREATE FUN!! Honestly Rach..everything with you is fun and has it's own unique spin. Add that with a great daddy...these kids have it made.

I know 4 proud grandparents, nanas, papas, uncles, aunts, great grandparents, and the list goes on.
And, I'm just telling the truth..some think I'm biased.
I'm your mother..I'm supposed to be biased. :)

We love you all so much.
Mama

Morello Madness said...

Jia You, Rach - and Emma! 40 lessons is quite an accomplishment! I think you're doing a great job!

Read-on,
Aim

Anonymous said...

you're an awesome teacher, rach! you will do great. one step at a time!

rikki