Tuesday, July 07, 2009

birthday prep

It's possible by reading this blog to get the mistaken impression that all I do around my house is prepare for parties and eat cake.  Though those often make the blog, I promise - and my fingers aren't even crossed - that there's more to my life than that.  

But in fact, this post is actually about parties.  And cake.  Sorry about that.

Because I've taken a wad of pictures from Samantha's actual birthday (yes, I haven't even caught up to her birthday yet...) I'm posting pictures of the cake ahead of time...so that you wont' have to scroll through an embarrassing amount of photos.  

Samantha requested a sunshine cake for her 3rd birthday, and her dear friend Becky further required that the cake have sunglasses on it.  This is not a Top Chef challenge, people.  This is a cake-disadvantaged-mom-who-also-has-to-do-something-for-Father's-Day-and-her-anniversary, thankyouverymuch.  

But anyway, I did it and I'm posting pictures just to prove it.  Ha.  

I also had to use my last yellow cake mix to make this little guy, so I figured if I'm emptying out the cupboards, we're going to go out with a bang.  So I added the food coloring business from "rainbow cupcakes" (more technical people would insert a link here) and went for a rainbow-colored sunshine cake.  

Step 1:  Cut the shape I wanted out of the pan.  I used a big pan for this project.  Think of it as a cake mural. 

Step 2: Extraction.  Get the cake out of the pan.  Actually, I just liked the way the colors swirled in the pan so I took a picture.  

Step 3:  Assemble the pieces I cut onto my big cutting board for decorating.  
Doesn't that make you feel all happy inside?  The random conglomeration of colors? I really like it.  
Never mind that the sunglasses look a bit jacked...the end product looked something like this:
I even busted out some streamers I bought in America (note to self: streamers are a hassle) and a Care Bears tablecloth I bought in the Big City up North.  

Samantha woke up with the house declaring to her that she was turning three.  She was super excited to start her day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

best sunshine cake I have EVER seen. Can you ship one to the states for my 21st???

kt

mlambchopper said...

Wow..What a happy cake! I love it. How am I going to ever top a sunshine cake for KT's 21st birthday..when I'm coming home late the 18th. :(
I ate Holly's cake mix...sorta. :(
And..I'm thinking I wish you had a cake! And..I'm going to put myself on a guilt trip for not having one for Kate. So..I'm glad you sent the post on the "sunshine cake" for all of us 16, 19, and 20th July girls to enjoy.
Love you, Rach.
Mom

sandra said...

FABULOUS CAKE! LOVE IT!

Hey! How about the night before my birthday I come sleep at your house so I can wake-up to such a festive celebration?

I like Care Bears. I like sunshine cakes! I like streamers!

BP said...

That is an AWESOME cake!!