Friday, June 18, 2010

samantha turns 4

There's been a lot going on at our place recently, and honestly, Samantha's birthday felt a little last-minute to me. I was able to keep in perspective the fact that she's had a lot of special occasions recently - her 100 lessons reading party, her big come-home-from-the-hospital-party - so I didn't feel too guilty about it.

Instead of giving her a choice this year of her birthday cake, I chose for her - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Her love of MMClubhouse intensified during her hospital stay, where she watched episodes of that show no less than 20 times. Even Josh can recite huge chunks of the show. =)

I signed her up for the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake without first considering how in the world I'd manage to do something like that...but in the end, I was satisfied with her cake result, especially in the light of the minimal amount of time I spent on it. Here's a sneak peek:

Samantha chose to celebrate her birthday by going to the Coconut Tree Playpark with our fam; it's always a good time at the Coconut Tree.
Josh helped Abby hang on for dear life during one swinging of the coconuts:
She was totally hooked from that point on:
It was hot in there and required several water breaks. Samantha especially gets overheated easily!
Once we got home from playing, she finally got to see her birthday cake:
She was excited! I was glad - and Emma was quick to point out my technical errors. (I put the door in the wrong place, had several parts missing from the slide, etc. That's scary that she can reconstruct the clubhouse in such detail!!)
For lunch, Samantha chose stir-fried cabbage, tofu, cashews and celery, and fried chicken strips. My kids love Chinese food!
It's a wonderful thing to listen to everyone sing to you!
Thanks to Aunt Kristen who planned months in advance, we had blowers...
...and party hats! And presents!
Our house helper prepared that night's Garlic Breadsticks in honor of Samantha:
Then after dinner, we went outside to play with the Giant Bubble Wand. Sorry there are no better pictures than this - abby was finding and eating trash on the ground, so the camera quickly got shelved!
We had a happy day celebrating sweet Samantha's life and spirit! At lunch as we all went around the table and reflected on special things about Samantha, I was struck by how different and unique she is. I know every child is unique, but sometimes taking a moment to reflect on it is amazing! I love so many things about her - her gentle spirit, her generosity, her humor, her love to pray, her go-with-the-flow attitude - and I'm so thankful she's here with us. We have been so blessed by her life!

Happy Birthday Samantha Kate!

7 comments:

sandra said...

Happy Birthday Samantha! What a special day! Great job on the cake!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday Mantha! Glad you had a great day!!
Rachel - I love when I don't have to ask my kids opinion... they really don't deep down care too much - it sure makes things easier sometimes!!
You do good work - that is hilarious that Emma found "problem spots'!
Hugs!
E

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when you talked about Abby eating trash off the ground. Seriously funny. The girls are so cute. CANT WAIT TO PLAY WITH THEM ALL THE TIME!! love you all.

Katie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.....it looked like a wonderful family party.
Love you all
Marilyn

Rachel said...

Love the cake! We've been watching a bit of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse lately, too. Ali would have loved it! Too bad for her, her Mom isn't that good with cakemaking.

mlambchopper said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Mantha. Rach, she is exactly as you described. She's such a little lady, and is so kind and gentle. We love her so very much, and we are so thankful that she came through the appendix ordeal. And, I am not being flippant..I know everyone..everyone..was praying and "blessed" beyond measure that her little body made it through.

And by the by, I LOVE THAT CAKE!! I am so proud of your cooking skills. Aunt Katie just made Oreo Balls..to die for!! We'll be making you some. Even I have to have more than one. ;) I don't know if they are as good as your Hello Dollies, (I just like the name and that makes me want them)but you will love them.
We love you!

Anonymous said...

Rachel: Charming--no other way to say it. Beautiful--no other way to say it. Blessed--no other way to say it. How we love all of you. Happy, Little Samantha--you are a lovely birthday girl. I felt as though I was right there when I saw your sweet face while they were singing to you. Love you all--can't wait for that big plane to land at Will Rogers. Nana