Monday, August 09, 2010

snips and snails, and puppy dog tails

I'm not exaggerating when I say that with each successive child I bear, I lose some extra brain cells. I suppose they might not exactly be lost, but they certainly are otherwise occupied - keeping up with feeding schedules, wiping bums, teaching letter sounds, keeping toys out of the most congested areas of the house, remembering who likes which foods on which days and in which ways...all of that seems to make it hard to remember the exact directions to my favorite dinner, or the specifics of a conversation I had a week ago.

Even in spite of my pathetically-low-after-three-children brain cell count, I try to remember the most important things and do my best to avoid looking like a complete idiot. But it seems that one important task was left undone: I never publicly announced on my blog that we were having a boy. I've heard from several readers (several? I have like, five readers....what am I talking about?) that I casually alluded to the fact a few weeks ago, but never officially came out and said it.

Let me clear it all up and apologize for my oversight: we're having a boy!

A boy! It's true. I initially had conflicting emotions. It went a little like this:
  • It's a boy! We're having a boy!!!
  • I have no idea what to do with a boy.
  • Josh will be able to wrestle and roughhouse and throw balls in the house!!
  • I have no idea what to do with a boy.
  • The Eggrolls will live on! Josh is having a son!
  • I have no idea what to do with a boy.
  • What will we name him?
  • He's going to be so effeminate after growing up with three sisters.
  • What am I going to do with a boy?!
Now the conflict of emotions is over and we are all so anxious to welcome baby brother to our family. Plus, I've had lots of time to think about it and I've come up with a few reasons why I think this boy-thing might not be so bad:

  • I'm ready for the drama factor in the household to decrease a little. Let's just face it: girls are high-drama. And I mean, HIGH drama.
  • Boy swimsuits are so cute.
  • I won't have to braid a fourth head of hair.
I know that list is very short and shallow, but those are the things that stick out to me. And even though I think that boy-clothes aren't nearly as cute as girl-clothes, I bought this the other day after nearly swooning:

Alligator? Dinosaur? I'm not sure. But seriously - I swooned. Ask Josh; he was there with me. [I just hope he's born less than 9 pounds! The only size they had left was "newborn: up to 9 pounds".] I love the little exhaust coming from the back of the car, the fact that he's driving a car, the green and brown....

Then, a few days after alligator-in-the-car purchase, we went over to Josh's parents house for dinner and playing. They have three young boys still in the house, so there's plenty to observe over there.

Gigi dug out some of the toys the boys played with when they were little, and the swooning returned.

Construction workers? Yes. I love it.
The cute little battery-powered wrecking ball? I'm in.
The hard hats? The tow truck? I love it all.
Bring the boy on. Even if I don't know what I'm going to do with a boy, we'll figure it out.

While we were at Pappy and Gigi's house, Abby got some instruction on how to use the remote-control fan. To say she was amazed would be an understatement:

She also got to ride a bucking bronco - and yes, she fell off...but only once. =)
Samantha stuck with traditional girl toys - the Barbie convertible and My Little Pony:
After pizza and playing, we cut open a huge watermelon - such a classic summer treat!
I know lots of you guys have boys and have helped (or are currently helping) shape them into strong, Godly men - I'm totally interested in comments, tricks of the trade, helpful suggestions, etc. Let me know your thoughts!

9 comments:

erica said...

Haha - I was wondering if I just missed the post about the B-0-Y announcement...
I have LOVED having a boy - the first 3 days were a shocker after the 2 girls. But now it just seems so normal. And it is true - the mother/son thing is really amazing.
My tips (after 2.5 years of boy)
1. make sure you have boy dress-up clothes or your son will want to dress like tinkerbell.
2. always pull out clear nail polish for the boy when you are painting the girls nails pink
3. I only have been peed on twice by my boy when diaper changing. By the 3rd & 4th baby your diaper changing skills are fast and you are much less likely to be fired upon. Make sure you are not rusty when he is born or you will get sprayed.
4. put him on the toilet backwards when potty training... it helps them be in the right direction when it is time to learn how to stand. (And it keeps them from peeing onto the floor.)
5. there will come a point in the first 2 years of life that that little boy will start eating more than mom. It happens early.
Congrats!! :)

Rachel said...

Rach,
HA! This is funny stuff! I loved the cute little driving alligator and the darling car! And the pics of all the boy toys! Fun times.

Welcome baby boy Carollo!

(Any progress on a name yet?)

Love you,
Rachel

Brandon and April said...

I'm SO excited about this!! I was curious if I missed the post too, but I was looking forward to the "official" announcement on the blog too.
YAY!
My boy is still little, so I can't say I've got much "advice" that doesn't have to do with quick diaper changes.
But it's so cool seeing the differences between boys and girls. Starting at a VERY young age...like around 5 months even...you can begin to see the boy-ness come out and the very obvious differences in behavior and how God ingrains in boys the affinity for balls, trucks, trains, etc. It's just cool seeing how God makes us different! :)
yay!

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel!
Since having a boy myself, I've been doing a lot of reading and there are 2 I've really enjoyed:
Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David S. Thomas
Boys should be boys: 7 secrets to raising healthy sons by Meg Meeker
Congrats!

BP said...

haha..I love Erica's insights.

GeeWhitz said...

Adopt some of that Asian culture you became so immersed in. Break out the SPLIT PANTS. No diapers needed and the little boys learn how to 'go' standing up quickly.

Don't be so sure about the 'no hair fixing' thoughts...Asian boys look good in braids. When in Rome...

What do you do with a boy? Same thing you do with the other three unique and diverse personalities you birthed...you adapt and flex to fit the personality. What works with one (boy or girl) doesn't always work the other.

It's basically simple...love and learn...learn in love.

G

Cassie said...

I will honestly say that I cried when I found out I was having a boy- mostly because of the "I don't know what to do with a boy" because I personally prefer baby boy clothes. But now I can't wait to meet my little man!

mlambchopper said...

I keep meeting little boy babies everywhere I go. I am visiting with all the new mothers of baby boys at church. In Babies R Us, I go...FIRST..to the boy side. :) And, I am in Toys R Us..trying to avoid anything...PINK!!!
I am going to enjoy a little boy calling me, "mimi." I promise to love our boy eggroll as much as my girl eggrolls. Who, I ask you, can "not" love an eggroll??
I love you, Rach, and all eggrolls!
Mom

sandra said...

You are going to LOVE having a little boy. I had a boy first. Then, we met our daughter. I never realized how easy a boy was until we had our daughter.

Can't wait to see photos of your little one!