Monday, January 16, 2012

let it snow!

Three days after New Year's, a blustery wind blew in and snow started falling everywhere.  Large and beautiful flakes covered everything. 

Aaaaaand, then they melted right away.

I was sure the snow was going to be for watching only.  The ground was still so warm, I couldn't image it would stick; much less have any sort of accumulation.  

But I was wrong!  Being wrong about snow is always fun!

The first thing I noticed about our first snow in this city is how strange this looks:

 Big fat palm trees with snow?  Just seems weird.

Our courtyard was turning into a beautiful winter wonderland.
 I did what any self-respecting mother would do: I bundled all my kids up, grabbed my camera and ran out the door.  (I don't mean to imply that if you wouldn't take your kids out, that you're a bad mama!  You're probably just a cozy and smart mama!)

Silas was really hesitant about both his bundles and the flying flakes.

Abby had zero reservations.  She was ready, with all her Abby spirit, to conquer the snow.
 Samantha surprised me on this snow outing.  If you couldn't find her, it was probably because she had snuck up behind you and was about to SMACK you with a snowball!  Her inner trickster was revealed during our snow play.

Silas saw Emma and Samantha making snow angels and started giggling.  Fat, gurgly little giggles.  It was so cute!

Well, they tried to make snow angels.  There wasn't quite enough snow to make lovely ones...
 I asked them all to huddle together for a group picture - Samantha with her snowball, Abby with her arms flailing, Emma pointing out where everyone needs to be standing, and Silas trying to see if he can escape.

Yep.  That's my life.  (and isn't it grand?!)
 They've recently gotten into "silly pictures", so of course, they requested one after mommy's "real" picture.  I love the silly faces on each of them.  I think Silas's reaction shows his true feelings after he realized he had to stay for more pictures.
 Emma and Samantha went from bush to bush, knocking off the snow from all the branches and leaves.
Who knows when the next snow will come?!  I'm glad we had a fun time outside - and glad we had a handful of mini-marshmallows left for our hot cocoa when it was time to come in.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

How FUN! You've had more snow than we have this winter, isn't that crazy? We all loved the fun expressions on everyone's faces...Abby totally cracked me up! She is FUNNY! I can't wait for the day when I get to know her better. SO glad you had a chance to make some fun memories in the snow! Love to all of you from all of us,
Rachel

PS and I agree...snow on palm trees just doesn't look quite right, somehow.

Rachel said...

I'm so jealous!! We haven't gotten a flake this winter, and I'm dying for some good snow!! Guess I'll have to come visit you...

Donna said...

Well, we haven't had snow, but I'd rather "use" the designated snow days than have them! :)These pictures are priceless and adorable! I just cannot get enough poses of any of them...so precious. Remember how I would make you all pose "every" time it snowed and take videos of you in the snow? When we find all of the videos, you'll thank me. You and Dustin were always in charge of overall fun and acvities, and, of course, Holly and Katie did whatever you all planned or what you'd let them get by with. Just like your group...more fun with 4! :)
Love,
Mom