Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Breakfast of Champions - Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Bread

While I can't actually say in good conscience that I always feed my children a healthy breakfast, my children always do look forward to breakfast, especially when this is sitting on the table.  

This recipe is one I've adapted from several different sources and am consequently not sure where the original I started from came from. 

Anyway, here goes:

You'll need to
  • put three bananas into a bowl and mash it up.
  • add 1/2 c. peanut butter.  (I don't like to dirty up a measuring cup for this, so I just use a big spoon and eyeball it.)
  • add 1/4 c. oil.
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • a splash or two of vanilla.  
Mix well.  Then in the same bowl (because I hate getting out another bowl- you can get a separate one if you want), add:
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
I bake this in loaf pans because I think they look prettier, but I'm sure you could put it in a bundt pan or even make muffins out of it.  I always grease my pans really well because the first several times I made this, they stuck like crazy.

When my pans are ready to go, I pour 1/4 of the mixture in each of the two pans.  Then I wait.

I wait while I mix some chocolate and cream.  More specifically, around 100 grams of chocolate (I have a great chocolate bar at my Carrefour, but I've used a Dove dark chocolate bar when Carrefour was out) and 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream.  Microwave this for 1 minute, and stir to get all the lumps out.

Then, I pour 1/4 of the chocolate mixture into each of the two pans.  I gently use a chopstick - what else? - to swirl it around.  NOT to mix it (like my house helper does) but to swirl it.  

Next, use the the rest of the bread batter and pour it on top of the chocolate you just swirled.  Use the last of the chocolate to make another layer of swirl on the very top.  [I like two layers of chocolate swirl, otherwise the bread to chocolate ratio is unsatisfactorily high!]



I bake this at 160C (which I was surprised to see was 320F!  Maybe my oven is weird?) but I keep it at a low temp because I want it too cook for a long time to let all the flavors deepen and love each other.  I bake it for around an hour, but sometimes leave it in a little while longer.  

It turns out really tender and very flavorful, and even though it should last my family much more than one breakfast, it never does.  


[If you want to save some hassle, you can just use chocolate chips.  We did that for a while, but chocolate chips are precious here!  Once I found an alternative I liked, I save my chocolate chips for higher priority things!]

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm glad you posted this. I've about had it with my regular banana bread, so adding these fun things will be a welcomed treat in our house!

Rachel said...

WOW this sounds amazing!! I'm definitely going to have to try it.

MAJ said...

This I have got to try!!!! Sounds amazing!!!

Vine Ripe tomatoes have been on sale lately and I finally made a batch of salsa probably about 12 cups and 10$ says its gone by next week:)) Ben practically drinks the stuff!

Loved your updates!! Happy Birthday to sweet Emma and I can't believe how big Silas is getting...he sure looks like Abbey:))

Miss ya tons

Anonymous said...

So I made a double batch of this for our Sunday group b/c we had lots of people coming and it was a HIT! As in all of it was gone. Thanks so much for sharing a fun new recipe!! This stuff is dangerously good. -biji

ShellieR said...

Totally making this for our Sunday AM breakfast! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I made this today for breakfast and it was delicious! We used a muffin pan which worked great, just baked it for 37 minutes.

Another change I made, based on necessity, was using a homemade chocolate syrup instead of a melted chocolate bar. It worked perfectly!

I'm so glad I pinned this recipe because I was able to sneak the protein of peanut butter into Mary's tummy. And she normally turns her nose up at everything with peanut butter. Thanks for sharing!