Leaving our perfectly blissful beach vacation meant our family splitting in two groups. We all traveled together to one city, then on arrival went in different directions.
At the airport, there was a group of college students making balloon animals. I'm sure everyone behind my children was ready to lose the static-cling that affected their hair while the girls zoomed their creatures through the air. After taking this picture, I realized it's one of the few I have of us in airports. Considering how much time we actually spend in airports, it's remarkable that I have so few photographic memories of our transit times. But really, when we're plodding through airports - with strollers, overpacked carryons, hungry children and dear Lord please help us find the Burger King and we-only-have-how-much-time? - it's a little disingenuous of me to stop and say, "Hey everyone! Smile for Mommy!"
It was brilliant, really. Why has this never been done before? Free activities at the gate to keep squirmy children happy and occupied? It was the most relaxing time we've ever spent waiting to board.

Ahhhh, but then the gate attendant told all the children they'd have to leave their balloons in Bangkok because they weren't allowed on the planes.
And that must be why this brilliant idea has never succeeded. Silas was not interested in giving his balloon up.
The big girls and I eventually arrived in the location for our homeschool conference and had such a wonderful time catching up with old friends. I feel so very blessed by the friends the Lord has given to me over the years!
On Day 2, we invited some old friends and some new friends to celebrate Emma's birthday with us. When you live so far from your blood-family, the relationships you've had on this side take on a special significance. It meant so much to me to share my girl's birthday with people that have known and loved us for years.
I love that Samantha is excited about Emma's birthday, just because she loves Emma. She knows there's nothing in it for her, but she's still thrilled for her sister.

We busted out the water balloons again, and with a larger group of older kids, the games went up a notch from Abby's birthday!

At 7, Emma Brighton...
- has lost three teeth.
- has a head of curly hair that can be equally beautiful and frustrating.
- loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
- gobbles up books almost as fast as she does chocolate cake.
- is thoughtful and respectful.
- takes seriously her responsibility to love and protect her younger siblings.
- is quick to respond to the Holy Spirit's moving in her life.
- wants to be an orphanage mother when she grows up.
- wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up.
- has no trouble reconciling these seemingly conflicting occupations together.
- desperately wants a pet.
- is a beautiful example of cheerful submission (to us and to the Lord) to her younger siblings.
- loves helping me do the dishes.
- keeps all the clothes in her drawer neatly folded.
- also neatly folds her homework. Into fourths, and sometimes eighths.
- is outgoing and quick to make friends.
- loves to run, jump rope, and ride her scooter.
- would love nothing more than for you to scratch her back.
- is a surprisingly good wii player!
- has grown in diligence and maturity SO much in the last year.
- is burdened for her friends that don't know Jesus.
- loves strawberry lemonade.
- is still willing to hold my hand even though technically, she doesn't need to.
- can't turn off the giggles once she gets started.
- can identify dog breeds from only a single glance.
She's my oldest girl - the baby I had when I had no idea what to do with a baby. She is so forgiving and accepting of the many mistakes I make as her mother. She is precious to me and to all in our family. Now when I look at her, I start to see glimpses of the woman she is becoming and my heart swells with gratefulness that the Lord would entrust her to us.
She's seven.
She's a big girl.
But she's still my baby.
Happy Birthday, Emma!






2 comments:
Dear Emma: What a fine, wonderful, lovely great granddaughter you are. You are everything your Mother says about you. When I walk fown my, from the little pink bedroom, I see all the adorable pictures of you and Melissa and I smile at you and lean over and kiss your pictures. Happy birthday, little first child. How I love you. Nana
Dear Samantha: I inadvertantly wrote Melissa instead of Samantha. What a nutty granny I am. Forgive me. I was just thinking of what yuur Mother said about you--how much you enjoyed Emma enjoying her birthday party knowing it was all about Emma. Samantha, you have always been so sweet with such a sunshine smile. I love you. Nana
Post a Comment