we woke up yesterday morning to discover that water was leaking into our bedroom. Josh had just gotten out of the shower and gotten dressed when his socks stepped in the water. (Josh has a special pet-peeve about wet socks.) After he changed his socks, we began an expedition to find the source of the water.
We looked up in the air conditioning vents, looked to see if water was coming in other places in the room...but alas, it appeared to come from the bathroom. We wiped up all the water, and then josh started a series of experiments. He aimed the shower head (which shares a wall with our bedroom) at different places in the bathroom, while I waited in the bedroom as the "lookout". The water almost immediately started seeping in under the wardrobe. Having discovered the problem (possibly a leak in the pipe?), we wiped up the water again and called our landlord.
When our landlord got here to check out the problem, I went into the bathroom and ran the experiment for her. Five minutes later, there was no water leakage. Ten minutes, still no water. Why wasn't it working?!
Our landlord astutely explained that probably there was no leak - it was probably just us kicking over a glass of water, or emma snuck out of bed and peepeed in the corner during the night, or something like that. Yeah, why didn't I think of that? Of course, it wasn't a leak...it was emma, miraculously scaling the walls of her pack and play, making her way through our dark house at 3am, pee-ing in the corner of our room right up next to the wardrobe (through her diaper, mind you) and pee-ing enough to fill two towels and two sheets. My landlord must think really highly of emma.
Then, emma must have found her way back to her room (opened her door handle...), somehow re-scaled the walls of her pack-and-play prison, all the while escaping our notice. "Mmmmm", I politely agreed. "It must have been emma." Does she think I'm an idiot?
Then...today, she unexpectedly stopped by with bags full of fruit, meat, and one unidentified bag that she excitedly thrust in my face. She pulled it open to reveal little crabs, pinching thier little pinchers inches from my face. I let out a surprised scream, which totally took her off guard. I dont' know what it is with her and seafood, but I tried to explain that we are not really accustomed to seafood. She kindly took the crabs back from me, and told me that her house helper would cook them for me and return them this afternoon. Sure enough, a few hours later, a plate of crabs appeared, just in time for lunch. Luckily, we had two guests (who are from this country) who happily ate up the expensive crabs!
3 comments:
oh my, well, at least the crabs went to good use. and no, truly, you don't look like an idiot! I think she was "fishing" (haha) for explanations!
Yes, socks are to keep moisture away from the feet, and not attract it to them. Rule #1 is never wear socks in the bathroom...it's like cooking in your suit or eating hard shell tacos while driving. You're just asking for it. Of course, your landlady is wrong. It certainly wasn't Emma. How absurd. No, I always suspect the quiet, less obvious culprits (that's how it works on 'Without A Trace'), so therefore I'm almost sure it was Samantha. She's always there 'lurking' in the background, scoping out things, as if to say, "I can't wait until these idiots go to bed, so I can go into the bathroom and play." My first clue was when she didn't think you'd notice, and she rolled over...no doubt she's been rolling over and getting up and causing havoc for some time now...that was her first slip up. These young criminal minds always do slip up. I'll bet if you wake up in the middle of the night, you'll find her sneaking formula from the frig, bopping Emma on the head, and of course running herself a bath, and just not doing a very good job of cleaning it up. I mean, after all, she's barely 3 months old, you can't expect her cover her tracks as well as she will when she's, say, 16. Ah yes, by the time she turns SIXTEEN, Josh will have good reason to 'wet his socks'. I see some real similarities between Samantha and your sister Katarina, besides just the number of letters in their names. Enjoy it while you still can.
Gee Whitz (dad/granddad)
God bless you and your zany landlord. #1 I hate wet socks too. #2 I totally believe that Emma is the culprit... but of course, I'm sure she has help from Samantha... tag team #3 tell landlady to back away with the creatures already
Post a Comment