Since we've arrived here and begun setting up shop, our trips to the store have been massive ordeals. We actually have to have salespeople push extra carts out to the taxis for us because our purchases surpass the limits of one cart. So you can imagine my surprise today when I went to the store and only spent $7. Not only was I impressed because I only spent $7, I was impressed because I didn't NEED to buy anything else. It wasn't like I was holding back. Ahhh, it's a nice feeling - my house is becoming more like a home and perhaps the grocery bill will start to reflect that.
You may be wondering what seven dollars can buy. Well, tonight's purchases included: two onions, three cans of evaporated milk (a surprise find!), two cartons of milk, a 4-pack of yogurt for emma, 2 loaves of french bread, and a dozen eggs. Aren't you impressed too? It's the least amount of money I have spent at a grocery store since I arrived.
In other news, I decided today that I'm tired of not having any friends. I think I said this the other day, and I know it takes time to make friends, but I feel a little disconnected with life without friends. In my old asian home, I had some really great friends, and I need to get some more. So...(deep breath) tomorrow morning, I plan to load up my bambinos and go for a walk down a little street by my house and look for some friends. I think I'll try to find some little shop full of women that looks friendly and inviting, and perhaps I'll go in and make conversation. Well, who needs to make conversation? Having my children with me makes enough conversation. So, we'll see how it goes. Part 2 of Rachel's search for friends airs tomorrow...
No comments:
Post a Comment