Here begins my happy highlight list from the last few days:
* Yesterday at lunch, Emma counted to 10 all by herself! We like to spend time counting, but she would usually just repeat 9, 10, 9, 10 over and over again. Maybe it has something to with "Nine, ten...do it all again!" or something. But anyhow, at the table, I said, "Emma, let's count for daddy!" and she busted it out all on her own. We didn't even prompt her. Has she done it since? Well...no, but what does that matter? She's moving on to bigger and better things! :)
* We have also been playing a little game with her called "colors". Ok, ok, it's not the most imaginative title (you can tell it was us, not milton bradley who invented it) but she really loves it. She has these index cards with colors and shapes on them and we lay them on the couch. She rounds up her "dora, dora" purse and we yell out a color for her to go and get. She runs, feet pitter-pattering on our squeaky wood floors, until she finds the requested color. She then clumsily shoves it into her dora purse of treasures. Of course, I think my child is brilliant, but actually she knows several of the colors quite well. Blue, brown, black and green she can identify immediately and without error. But, when we get to purple, pink, red, orange, yellow, and white, well...they become brown, black, green and blue. But four is better than none, dont' you think?


* In the bath tonight, Emma stood straight up and put her hands on the side of the bathtub. Whatever possessed her to do what came next, I have no idea. A huge smile crossed her face, she lifted one leg up into the air as high as she possibly could and shouted, "Careeeeeeeeful!" She certainly doesn't get that from her mother!
* At dinner tonight, Josh let out a belch. ( I wish I could say this behavior is unusual, but unfortunately...well, anyway) Without missing a beat, Emma piped up with a gentle reminder to her daddy: "Cuse me!"
* The last few days I have been quite engrossed in a novel that a "friend" lent me. (The only reason "friend" was in quotation marks was because she knew it was a very gripping story, and lent it to me anyway completely knowing I would be useless for any of the days I read it! Instead of doing the dishes, I opted for the next chapter. Instead of rising early to take a shower, I sleep in because I'm so tired from staying up late reading the novel. This also explains why my blog has not been updated in a few days.) Emma was sitting on the bed with me this evening as I fed samantha, and she noticed the book. Taking in its considerable thickness, she looked at me and said with sincere certainty: "mommy's bible."
Oh, emma...thank you for thinking the best of me! Perhaps next time, it will truly be mommy's bible!
Samantha's turn now:
* Samantha in the last few days has started really reaching for things. The most meaningful thing that has been caught within her grasp lately is mommy and daddy's faces. I remembered when Emma used to reach up and touch our face, and now that samantha is doing it, I feel so happy inside!
* Samantha loves to stand on her two legs, as you can see! (that is, of course, when Emma doesn't butt in to be the center of attention!)
* Samantha's terribly dry skin is improving, but only a little bit. We've heard that the driest weather is still yet to come, so we shall see how her little skins hold up!
* We're not putting Samantha on a diet or anything, but this week she has gone from six feedings down to five. The great thing about it is that at 8:00pm when Emma goes down for the night, I give mantha her last feeding and by about 8:30, my child obligations are over! (well, at least until morning...) I've really enjoyed this new routine! :)
Well, it seems again that blogger is unwilling for me to post my pictures, so check back to this post in a few days. I've got really cute ones in store for you!
4 comments:
I love to read about the girls!
(and of course their wonderful parents)
Please keep sharing all the details.
I check each morning first thing to see what's happening on the other side of the world:)
Love you
Marilyn
Rachel, I love reading your goings on. And it is wonderful to hear how well your girls are doing! I know they are such a blessing in your life. - Alicia O
Not bragging at all... you are simply sharing with me what is to come in the next month or two with Elizabeth! I love hearing what your family is up to, and you are a great story-teller!!
Fun, fun FUN pictures! Thanks for sharing! Sorry to be a "friend"--maybe next week I can aspire to be a true friend (without the quotes!). Sweet Samantha can stand by herself! Amazing!
Post a Comment