I've got a dilemma ahead of me.
I stepped on the scale a few days ago at Rachel's house. (I'm still too afraid to buy a permanent one for my house!) While the dial swung indecisively back and forth, I tried to ignore those pestering thoughts of how many cokes I drank last week - or worse yet, how many peices of pie I ate the night before!
When the final numbers were in, I wasn't sure how to react. Sure, I had gained A LOT of weight when I was pregnant with Samantha. And sure, I've lost a lot of it since relocating to my new asian home - in fact, I've lost about 13 pounds. But, that still leaves me about 20 pounds short of where I should be for a "healthy" woman my age. (By the way, what does "healthy" mean anyway? If it means a life devoid of carbonation, caffeine, and sugar how can that be healthy? Fine, physically healthy, maybe. But emotionally healthy? You may live longer, but you miss out on melt-in-your-mouth chocolate, fizz-in-your-face coke, and yummy cheese dip. Count me out!)
The problem is that I have a beach date in February. We've rented this really nice villa to stay in for a week in Thailand, so I feel that my quest to lose Samantha's leftovers deserves a bit more effort on my part. I'm still just trying to decide how much effort.
Rachel says you can do anything for 15 minutes a day. Alicia has still managed to be faithfully attending her gym. My mother, of course, never needs to lose any weight. (Who says you will look like your mother when you get older??)
I kept telling myself, "after josh's birthday..." I certainly didn't want to start before, as that would have caused me to ration more carefully my portions of hello dollies, mexican food, and german chocolate cake (see previous posts). No, we can't have any rationing going on in this family. So, I had resolved to "do better" (again, what does "do better" really mean?) after the birthday celebrations were over.
THEN...the manager at the store where we found the imported Coke tells me that if I buy a 32-pack of coke, he'll give me a 10% discount. Granted, the discount only comes to a few dollars, but in this country, the willingness to give a discount is seen as a sign that the other party is weakened, and willing to give in. According to local thought, this is a situation that should not be passed up.
But still, that's paying over US$30 for a 32 pack of Coke. I keep going back and forth. Thirty-two dollars seems a bit excessive for Coke. Thirty two cans seems a bit much to have at my immediate disposal. But a good coke can solve wonders for a tough day. (Even now, I'm sitting here mentally figuring that's 32 nice hot baths with a coke and a frosty mug...or 16 hot baths and 16 mexican dinners...or 16 hot baths and 8 mexican dinners and 8 pizza nights...or...)
On the other hand, I could still continue my current pace of gastrointestinal consumption and just up my physical activity. I could get up earlier and walk around the block (like Rachel...) or I could go work out during emma's naptime (like Alicia...) or I could just forget both of those and buy some "As seen on TV" weight zapper that miraculously zaps away extra fat, requiring me to neither cut back my calorie intake or make sacrifices in the exercise category. I wonder if they ship internationally...
But seriously, sacrifice is good for the soul, right? Maybe I can walk the mile or two to the special Coke store when I want a coke - then, I am still allowed to indulge but I have made at least some effort at physical fitness. Or maybe I will forbid myself from making cakes, pies, and gluttonous meals. I did make some super-tasty carrot-raisin muffins the other day (and they called for a cup and a half of carrots. that's healthy!) so they can stay.
Or maybe I should just take little steps. Twenty pounds in four months. Surely I can do that without being TOO healthy, right...?
3 comments:
Can I just say how freakishly like my own wife you are? I never really noticed it until you started blogging and I was able to see the discussions going on within your head but it's true. She could have written this post.
Coming from someone who has worked on the "may" weight problem all of my life....I can relate to your mental debate and commend you on the concern over 20 lbs.
It is probably a good idea to address those pesky little things before they call out for reinforcements!
Dieting might work but then the root word to that is "die" not a really promising lifestyle.
Of the six times that I have lost 100 lbs..I would consider the best way to be increased exercise.
Of course now with bad knees and feet that isn't really much of an option for me anymore.
I think in the long run I would spend the money on the coke rather than on the diet thing-ys on TV which usually don't work or alter body chemistry.
At least it's a sure thing:)
Since you are nursing (at least I think you are) the increase in activity should work quickly.
What ever you do....I wish you success!
Okay, your mom is the sweetest creature on the planet. I'm a bit frightened by the mental image of those panties, though.
My vote? Get the darn cokes. There is not enough $$ in the world to keep me from a coke, especially if they are not easy to come by. Have one a day. That would be a month's worth. You look amazing, and you are not vain. You are a woman, with the same thoughts & issues we all have. You will lose it just like you did after you had Emma.
Post a Comment