The other day I had quite a revelation.
Generally speaking, our family avoids going out on the weekend. Any place that might normally be tempting to visit loses all its appeal on the weekends. Weekends are when the masses get off of work and come in droves to any place that is remotely appealing - pizza hut, the parks, playgrounds, the supermarket. Granted, that is also usually the case in america, but we're talking about things on a much different scale out here.
That being the case, we plan to stay inside on the weekends. We'll plan Pizza Hut for random Wednesday nights or do our grocery shopping at 1:30 in the afternoon. But, the other day it was unavoidable.
My landlord and I went out on a Saturday to do some shopping for a few household items. After we made our purchases, she wanted to take me out to lunch to this steak-house typish place. (*Note: this is not an actual steak place, just a asian-ese steak place, very loosely based on US steak places!) Being a saturday, it was indeed crowded. It was only her and I (and Samantha), so the 20 minute wait wasn't nearly as daunting as if Emma were there.
But when we sat down, I was so surprised at what I saw. I have felt for a long while that my heart really is for young families - people in the same place that I am in, but it has been so hard for me to find people like that. But as I looked around the random steak place, nearly every table had a small child with them.
It seems a bit incongruous that here we are, trying to "find" all these young families while avoiding those very few times when people have the opportunity to be out and about. When the people are out, I make a point to be in. When the people are in, I make a point to be out.
No wonder I don't have any friends.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment