Sunday, October 22, 2006

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star...

While I was shopping a few weeks ago, I came across a package of glow-in-the-dark stars and moons. I thought Emma would think it would be really fun, since she loves looking at the stars and moon when we are out at night.

I decided tonight was a good night for a special surprise. While she was reading books with daddy in the living room, I snuck into her room, balanced precipitously upon a shaky blue chair and affixed the multi-colored stars and moons to her ceiling and wall.

"Ta-da!" I happily announced. I went to the living room to show emma my work of art. (I must say, they were hung rather well.)

Truly, she loved the stars. They made a great distraction during diaper changes, and we sang "twinkle, twinkle" till I was convinced I could sing it no longer.

Then bedtime came.

Brush teeth...say prayers...big family hug...tuck in...don't forget blanket...and minnie (thanks, kim!)...or puppy...or bear...and finally, ah, close the door.

Within nanoseconds after the door was shut, something broke loose from emma's room. Shrieks, screams, tears...it must have been awful.

I went in to console her, give her some hugs, and tuck her back in. We looked up at stars together. We sang (what else?) twinkle, twinkle again. And back to bed she went.

More screams. What could be wrong with her?

This time, she got a spanking. (We have a "no crying, no whining, no fussing" rule at bedtime, remember?) More hugs, more kisses, and back to bed.

When she started screaming for the third time, Josh enlightened me. Perhaps, he thought, glow-in-the-dark stars are really fun for a four year old (like the box recommends) but are just a bit too much of a paradigm shift for a one and a half year old.

I asked emma, "do you want the stars?"

"ok. bye-bye, stars."

I took that as my cue.

So, the carefully affixed stars were taken down just hours after they were put up.

No stars twinkling in this house!

No comments: