Thursday, August 02, 2007

passports take #2, roll camera, aaaand action

When you get your first passport, you wonder many things looking at its new shiny cover and empty pages--why did I decide to dress that way or submit that picture, do I need to memorize that number, do I really need to sign it? One thing we scarcely think about is: where will I be when this thing expires in ten years?

Yes, it is me--papa eggroll--guest hosting this evening, while you-know-who is out getting a 1.5 hour, $7 foot massage. I just don't do massages, but that's not the point of this guest post, so we'll move on...

It has now been almost ten years for both me and Rachel that we've had our passports, and so we've had to get our passports renewed. A little more troublesome when there is no US Postal Servise around, but life is always an adventure here. As we were in the process, it was interesting to think back to all the places we've been during these first ten years of having a passport: four continents, seven countries (not counting stop overs), numerous cities, dozens of plane rides, hundreds of long distance buses, and thousands of different people that have affected our lives and we've had the privilege of meeting. Staying in some of the nicest five-star hotels in Asia to some of the most not-five-star mud-bricked "houses" out in the some of the poorest areas of Asia. We've met crazy people; we've met sane people. We've met nice people; we've met not-nice people. We've cried and asked Him "why?" so many times on so many issues knowing that maybe its better not knowing the why. We've gone from eating ramen noodles and crackers almost every day to we, mainly mama eggroll, has learned how to cook Mexican, casseroles, ribs, chicken fried steak, you name it, so well, that sometimes we don't even like eating out at western restaurants because its not nearly as good as what Mama makes. Our family has doubled in size in three years. We've had the highest of our highs and the lowest of our lows in our entire life during these ten years. And yet, if you would have told me ten years ago when I was getting my first passport that all that would true, well, I just wouldn't have believed you.

As we looked at our new passports, we did look at the picture, I noticed that the numbers that I had memorized were different now (a little irritating), and I've still yet to sign it. But one thing we did think about this time is: where will we be in July 2017? And that leads to so many other questions. what will we be doing? the same thing? where will we be living? the same place? what will life be like? how many kids will we have? seven? how many countries will we have visited? 15? how many lives will have touched us? how many lives will we have touched?

I mean, that is, like John P_iper says, the ultimate culmination of finding satisfaction in Father--affecting other people with love and the Good News. We can't say the affecting of people is the ultimate purpose; it's the being satisfied in Him that is our purpose, and therefore the natural outflow of that purpose is affecting others. I was talking with a friend of mine who is Asian, and he made a joke that it took me a while to get, and yet it's true. There will be many who will be bored in heaven, he said. Why, I asked. Because they won't have anyone to share with or any studies to lead or any lost people to reach. I chuckeled, and then it hit me. What does the Son have to say about that? The sermon on the mount--not all those who say to me...will enter..."but we did all these things"..."I never knew you." Intense. I want to know Him, not just do for Him. That's what I want ten years from now--to know Him more, more than I do now, more than I have in the past--that's where I hope I am in July 2017.

Another reason to celebrate the number 10 and knowing Him this month. 'Tis me 10th anniversary of following Him in August. Celebrate for me in August by going by your nearest S_onic drive-in, getting a large tot with cheese and a large Dr. P_epper, at happy hour of course.

What a difference ten years can make.

(I promise pictures of the ladies are coming soon; hope you're not too disappointed by mama eggroll's absence).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post, papa eggroll. Very inspiring and very thought provoking. Makes me wonder what all will happen to our family in the next 10 years. What your post also did was to remind me..that I, also, want to know Him more intimately and not just do things or show up for things. KT and I just had to renew our drivers license and you wouldn't believe the effort I put in to trying to look as good as possible only to read an article the next day on how to take good passport/drivers license pictures. Of course..you know the kick on this...I did everything wrong for a good picture. Hey..I love when you guest host so when you can...we love reading it. Love ya! Donna

Anonymous said...

first of all... it was holly mom that you went to renew your license with.. i KNOW i am your fav daughter but must you make it obvious to the others around us.

anyway josh i was betting you are gonna celebrate another ten year anniversary. you know of "knowing katie whittern" and all. that deserves a HUGE party. im talking HUGE. because knowing me my friend.. is well you know... actually no words do it justice! just kidding!! love you though