There's some things that have been swirling around in my head for a while lately, but I just haven't taken the time to write them out.
If you'll remember back to those days in hong kong, you will remember that funny though those blogs may be, there was a hint of anger and irritation to them. The honest truth is that I was not necessairily angry at God, just irritated in general. The biggest part of the anger came from my mind trying to piece together "whys" and "hows" that the human race always tries to find when tragedy strikes. At that point, all the facts indicated that the kidney stone and its complications led to the miscarraige of the baby. That tasted like gravel in my mouth. It made me angry. Of all the times I could have had a kidney stone, why then? Why even at all?
Now that the emotions have receeded and life is back to its very normal routine, it's really easy to forget that all that drama even happened. But after coming home and doing a little more research, the more probable scenario now seems that the baby was already dead before the kidney stone ever reared its head. This is not necessariliy based on solid, undebateable facts, but generalizations for what ought to be normal for when heartbeats show up on ulrasounds and gestational age and things like that. If it were true that the baby had already died, then the appearance of the kidney stone was - contrary to what I have been calling it all this time - an incredible act of a merciful God.
If the baby had already died and I had no kidney stone, there would have been no reason for me to fly to hong kong. All the emotion and pain and uncertainty would have come like a thief in the night, so to speak, and it all would have happened here in my asialand home. I would have been going to the hospital down the street, simply out of necessity. I would have all the memories of that event locked in my mind, and it all would have been in my house, in my city. No kind nurses who stayed by my side, no chance to look at the baby after it came out, no doctors that spoke to me in english, none of that special time after it was all over to savor those free days with my family and regroup. No time with friends, no late night card games, no outback, no cheetos. That perspective changes everything for me.
Even though I wasn't mad at God, I felt distant toward him. Maybe sort of like passive-aggressive. Maybe. But just looking at things this way - what could very possibly be the most accurate way anyway - gives Him glory for His mercy at a time when I thought He was anything but merciful. So, for all of you who hurt with me during that time, I wanted to share my newest revelation. I was wrong. He has been much more merciful to me that I thought or deserved.
6 comments:
Such insight is not always given to us and what a wonderful example of how God takes care of us better than we can often know or comprehend. Sometimes it is so difficult to keep the correct perspective. To have that total faith that what ever happens God will control if we just "wait on Him"
It adds a whole new understanding to the statement "a daily walk of faith" doesn't it.
I have a friend who meets every circumstance with "I wonder what God will do with this?"
It is my daily challenge to have this kind of total faith.
The pictures are wonderful:)
Thanks for taking the time to share them....it always makes my day.
Love each of you
Marilyn
Rach,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That's what mercy is: undeserved favor. I'm glad for you that you can see it that way now, and I'm glad you had those days in HK. Your words also remind me of the many areas in my own life where He has been merciful, despite my complaining sometimes, and how thankful I should be. Thank you.
Love to you,
Rachel
Dearest Rach...
It has been a rough trial..and you and Josh have endured and maintained with a great perspective. Remember..don't be hard on yourself when additional "tender" moments come up. I was talking to a complete stranger the other day and somehow this all came up. I found myself crying..unable to finish the story..the stranger put her hand on my cheek and wiped away the falling tears and she said, "Well, if you care this much about your daughter..isn't it great how much more God cares for her and for you?" I nodded, walked away, and determined that I would not engage in any conversations with anyone for the rest of my life. Hmm..wouldn't that be something? I am thankful for all the ways you were taken care of..even the sadness of what happenned in your city while you were gone. And, as trivial as some might think, cheetos (not diamonds) can be a girl's best friend. I love you....mom
I love this post, and agree. How many times in my life have I wondered why things didn't work out my way, when really, He was saving me from more sorrow. Love to you all. still working on your list.
Rach: Your blog is alwlays so good for me. Thanks for sharing your hurting times and how you have worked through them. I am glad you were in HK and that you got to see the baby and that y ou had good, compassionate care. Daily we ask God to continue His watch over you and Josh and the babies. We love you so much. Nana
When I read your blog.. its almost like you are here with me telling me the story.. I wish that was really how it was. I find myself a lot just thinking how much I wish you lived here... how much I wish you could meet me for lunch in norman... how much I wish you could bring emma and sam to the pi phi house and I could show off my cute nieces... how much I wish you could just come and pray with me... how much I wish I could give MY SISTER a hug..
But then i remind myself how cool is it to have a sister that is doing what youre doing.. how cool it is that you are doing what He wants you to do.. how cool it is that you are the reason many lost people will go to heaven.. and after I remember that.. I am okay :)
i love you rachel and miss you more and more every day.
Post a Comment