I wish I could say that I haven't blogged in over a week because I've been insanely busy, though that is partly true. Today (Friday) is the first naptime (read: mom-time) I've had all week. I started asianese tutoring up again this week, and even though it is incredibly helpful to my progress, it saps all my free time. And there just seems to never be enough free time! But, anyway, that's only part of the story.
The other part of the story is that the little free time I did have was being mostly dedicated to finishing a book I had started reading: O r a c l e B o n e s by Peter H e s s l e r. It follows the first book he wrote several years ago when he was a volunteer English teacher in the asianese countryside. It was a fascinating account of his experiences, and he was able to verbalize so many experience that we ourselves have had. So, anyway, I was excited to read his new book and ate up every detail - I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that it trumped the next fiction book I had waiting in the wings, quite a rare occurrence. So, for Christa and Phonse and all the other readers out there, reading a copy of this book will give you a really great idea of the great difference in mindset and ideology we face so much out here, and I think it's a great read.
3 comments:
Can you suggest a good website or video for us to rent to learn Asianese? Nothing like waiting until the last moment. There are some key phrases I'm just sure we'll need. : )
Hey..Aunt Mindo has a birthday on the 11th.
Love you...MOM
P.S. Perhaps I'll get that book for plane reading.
Rachel: I will try to get the book, if only to be making that connection with your life. I am so glad you got some reading time--I love to read so much that I can not get out of the checkup line in the grocery store--because I am reading all the trash that is available by the checkout counter--plus cereal boxes. Love you so--Nana
I will look for the book. I have a list of books I want on Amazon.com and there is never a shortage of books that I am wanting to read. I will put it on the list. christa
Post a Comment