Sunday, March 02, 2008

big. astonishingly big.

It's sunday night here, and we're gearing up for another week here in asia land. Another week where Emma goes to preschool. Yes, you heard me correctly. Last week was her first week trying out the preschool down the street, and though we have yet to pay our money (haha!) she is officially a Little Dolphin (the name of the preschool).

It's been a big step for me. I feel thankful that our days in thailand helped me do the "letting go" thing in baby steps, with people who were very trustworthy, in a very restricted and controlled environment. I cried the first day in thailand I put both girls in childcare; ok, cried is a bit much. But definetly teared up. But by the end of thd time, we were casually saying goodbyes each morning.

That experience has made this new part of letting go a bit easier. Granted, she only goes three hours a day, for three days a week, but it still counts as letting go in my book.

I've been proud of her. She has already had a marked difference in her willingness to speak asianese, but also a noticeable difference in her willingness to befriend locals when we are out. In the past, she has given people the cold shoulder in a serious way when they want to talk to her or touch her. This weekend while we were out doing things, she would initiate things with strangers. I was so surprised, but glad that her time at preschool as given her positive interactions with locals.

We had an unexpected trip to Pizza Hut this weekend (always welcome, even if unexpected!) and while we were there, emma had to go potty. We waited and waited and waited in the bathroom for the western potty to open up (apparantly, someone was taking care of business), but the door to the eastern-style squatty was wide open. Emma looked at me and said, "Mommy, I can do it. I can use that one by myself." Her preschool has potties similar to that one, and had gotten lots of practice last week. She was pleased to show me the extent that she really could do it herself - even though I tried to help, it was very unneeded! I never thought I'd see the day when she would not only volunteer to use a squatty, but do it all by herself!

Anyway, so I've been proud of her. She has already made some friends. She's excited about going tomorrow. She has a good time. And she's very, very close to home (it's just down the street). We had a little picnic last friday for lunch, celebrating her first week at preschool, and as I watched her and mantha play beneath the crisp blue sky, I could hardly believe what a difference a year made.

No tears on my part this time. (Of course, there are seperate boys-and-girls potties this time around, too!) No tears on her part. I'm sure there will be struggles and harder times ahead, but for now I'm just marveling at how well it has all worked out.

Interestingly enough, I have also started working at her preschool two days a week. I'm the new English teacher (I feel so tied down, now that I have a "job"!) for the three and four year olds! It has worked out nicely that now I can have that extra involvement in her school and friends and such like that.

So, anyway, I'm off to take a bath before our next big week. With our very big girls.

**Emma's first day of preschool pic to come. **

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Emma! And even more so, way to let your baby to to Asian preschool, Rachel! That is a huge step, indeed. I'm encouraged to hear how things are going. Makes me a little more willing to cross that bridge when we come to it, too. Looking forward to pictures!
Love,
Brigitte

Anonymous said...

Yeah Emma! We hope you are enjoying all your little friends and new teachers. We can't wait to see photos!

Anonymous said...

how cute is emma. I am proud to call myself her aunt. i cannot wait to see them. I'm counting down the days. miss you guys so very much,

love you

katie

Anonymous said...

Gee..I wonder if Emma got her sense of adventure from you & Josh..you think?? I'm so proud of that sweet Emma Bear. I can just see her stealing more hearts in Asialand. She stole their hearts when she wouldn't talk to them. :)It's so hard to believe she is 3. But, my goodness, Miss Mantha is not far behind. We love you, Asia family. MOM

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, Rach. It takes a lot of courage to let your child use a squatty--it was always hard for me to let one of my girls or grandchildren use a public restroom--egads--a squatty potty. Remember your first experience with the thought. How the father brings us along. Love you a million--Emma is on her way/

Katie said...

i would love it if sometime soon you would use the seriously segment????? I think it'd be a huge hit. Thanks for reading mine. :) love you