Nature is playing an unusually cruel joke on me.
I've been going to the gym now for about five weeks. I have not been going every day, BUT I have been going regularly. Five weeks into it, do you want to know what I have to show for it? Really?
2 more kilos - almost five pounds! are you kidding me?!
I appreciate all your advice in advance about sticking with it, being persistent, and all that jazz, but (as amy discovered when she similarly encouraged me) my going to the gym means I am making a choice to give up using my time in different ways. I'm giving up the peaceful nap times where I can actually accomplish things. Things is a very abstract word, but "things" are important to me!
So I decided that if I'm making the effort to go the gym, I ought to be making the effort to stop all the reckless eating that I so easily engage in. It begins today. Black Monday.
From now until saturday, here's the rundown:
-no soda
-no snacks
-no food after 6:30 (we've always finished dinner by that point)
-no food entering my mouth except at appointed meal times.
Several times today, my old friends coke and chocolate have whispered their sweet nothings in my ear, and somehow every ounce of willpower in my entire being was summoned and resisted the urge. Even when there was a large peice of Hello Dolly left in the pan from last night - which I threw away? Can you believe that willpower?!
Anyway. We'll see how it goes.
11 comments:
Love the blog's new look! What a great picture of your sweet family!! As to the kilos, I'm no help. Maybe it's more muscle?!? :)
Dearest Angel...
I love that new look, too!! I love seeing the whole family right off the bat!
As for the post, I actually was afraid to read what Black Monday meant. (lions, and tigers, and bears..oh my!)
I am so proud of you for this whole "new" adventure. I didn't know if you noticed...but, I did so good on the last package and didn't send anything sweet. I thought since you were working out...you might appreciate my not sabotaging your hard work.
I love you. The best thing about setting up new rules...is..eventually you can modify them. : )
Saw all your friends this weekend. Kim was beautiful..loved her husband and family. Alicia is darling and is due about the same time Holly was born. Paul is dear as usual. Tom did an excellent job on the ceremony. And, sweet Rikki. I just loved on her and doted on her darling girls and new babo.
Can't wait to hear more?? I'm available to you...24/7. You know me? Gary England and I were up at 3:00 Monday morning together. I was worried about T-town and nana and our house...and the list goes on. On our way to t-town today to get dustin's car. We sure love that chuck. Love you, sweet girl. MOM
Rach..
One more thing..Saw dear Misti and her fam. She is precious to me. Kit and Lloyd were awesome and Kit played the piano like nobody's business. They had the salsa room decorated all "foreignesque" if that makes sense. Hopefully, I didn't forget anyone else. Give Emma and Mantha my hugs and kisses. I love you, sweetheart.
Yes, go with Autumn's comment! Because musle weighs more. As for me, when I was forced to stand on the dreaded scale today (seriously, do they have to weigh you EVERY time? Why not just once every three months?), a not-so-small miracle occurred... I had somehow managed to not add any additional pounds in the last 17 days. So, naturally, I decided I should reward myself after the appointment with a coke before heading back to work (and it would be happy hour too). Until the midwife promptly told me (as if she could read my evil thoughts) that now that we were in the final stretch I needed to not have ANY pop or extra sweets and make sure to eat plenty of protein and vegetables. Now really, is that fair? My back hurts, I can't sleep, I look like a whale, and no emotional eating is allowed?!? Seriously, that is not fair. And I even WALKED to my appt from work. (The sun had come out and I figured the 15 minutes there and back would justify the later trip to Sonic.) So, all that to say, I agree today was Black Monday. But I'm not making any promises for tomorrow! =)
Seriously, I will not comment on the weight/eating/working out issue as I am now in the "less than two weeks, eat everything I want to eat and as much of it because soon it will all be gone" phase of my life. I have been sitting for 8 weeks straight, trying to walk to the gate and back at least 4 times a week when it isn't freezing outside (so you can guess 4 times is alittle ambitious) And since I am going to kilos from pounds, won't I lose about 80-100 marks on the scale immediately...all that to say....Love the new look! Your fam is so beautiful!
me too. me too. I'm trying to get in a better routine & back to some good eating habits. There's no way I can make it to the gym as I'm still trying to improve my language, but we have agreed upon a time where I can go for a fast walk for 1 hour. I'd like to say that I feel amazing after walking this morning, but unfortunately I have so much junk in my system. I can't wait for 3 days from now when I have only good foods in me.
As for the pounds, I try to stay away from a scale & focus on how my clothes are fitting. I have some "goal pants" that I hope I can fit into in a month or two. The scale just gets me down.
Back before baby, I noticed that my clothes were all fitting quite loose, but the scale said I gained 5 lbs. We agreed that it had to be muscle since I was lifting weights.
Love you girl. Just do this for yourself so you can have maximum energy to work on all "things" important to you.
LOVE the new theme.
FYI~ I would have gladly paid the 25 local dollars for the round trip taxi ride to relieve you of your last hello dolly! :) Keep up the good work, friend! I can send Brad over if you need someone to help enforce your new rules! ;)
~Aim
Okay....now I feel SO guilty....It's lunch time and
I logged on to check out the news (love the new picture:) and am sitting here eating mac and cheese...so I began the mental justification: it is a single serving (small) and is lower in salt that the other options in my office (I am having salt issues) and...I do plan to walk across campus to my 1pm meeting.....
And I promise not to send you anymore tempting things.....
but the fact that I caught myself sucking the spoon to get all the cheese sauce....and it was Kraft...not home made
(on the food channel this week they featured a place in Chicago that is famous for mac/cheese...one serving is 2000 calories...OH MY)
Okay...I am back on track....finishing up with yogurt...0 fat, 0 sugar and only 45 calories...
Love you guys
Marilyn
Rachel: From an old pro at weight loss and gym time---if you have lost 5 lbs. in 5 weeks you are doing magnificently well. Just think--5 lbs. you did not gain--and 5 lbs. you lost--that's 10 lbs. isn't it? Your new blog family is beautiful--or are beautiful==whichever. I am trying to resist lunch by myself right now.
If anyone can understand your frustration, it is me. Do you know I have lost about 15 pounds... yay for me, right? BUUUUUUUTTT.. I have been trying since LAST January. So like a year and 3 months ago. that is ONE pound per MONTH! Seriously? I'm sorry but you should stick with it. :) And, don't deprive yourself too much. Life is no fun without a coke and some chocolate now & then. Loves to you!
hey! love the new pic on the blog. looks great!
the hosanna project with the girls sounds awesome. once again, you have proven to me that you are like the most creative mom in the entire world. absolutely inspiring I tell ya!
and the pics of emma and eden are soooo cute. love em!
and I'm no help as to the weight loss either. i'm loving my diet plan of indulgence while nursing. If I could (and if it didn't become weird and culturally inappropriate!), I'd nurse the rest of my life for weight loss reasons. haha
but yes. you can do it! you'll be amazed how quick those pounds will drop just by dropping soda! wow!
Post a Comment