In the past, traveling by taxi in our city was a very messy affair. Messy as in, dirty. As in, pant legs brush against muddy, smoggy sides of tires and your hands have to push past a layer of dust to reach the handle to open the doors. I wish I was kidding.
In recent years, however, the lovely bureaucrats in our city have made some new taxi laws. Most notably, every driver has to buy a new taxi when their permit comes up for renewal. This puts 80% of the city's taxis needing to be renewed by this fall. That means that when the leaves turn red, 80% of the taxis in our city will be brand spankin new. (Not necessairly clean, but new anyway).
Anytime I'm about to hail a cab, if there's a choice between an old one and a shiny new one, it takes about a millisecond for me to make the decision to bypass the nasty old white ones. Sometimes I even get flutters in my stomach and want to do a Tiger Woods fist pump when I see a brand new taxi pull by right when I need a taxi. It's happy times, I tell you.
Ok, so mom is a big fan of the taxis. The girls were too until the new rule.
Seatbelts.
In the old taxis, there were no seatbelts. Seriously. They just weren't there. That usually meant that even though the girls weren't allowed to stand, climb, or clamor about, there was still a great range of movement.
On the way to rachel's house last week, I made the decision and notified the girls: If we get in a taxi that has seatbelts, you must wear them. (It's never to early to turn them into responsible citizens, right?! Besides, if they lived in america, their fate would be much, much worse with car seats and straps and all.)
Samatha was delighted at the novelty of the seat belt, and emma too...until she tried to reach for something begged me to remove her seatbelt. You can see how quickly her attitude soured when she realized I wouldn't be changing my minds.

In recent years, however, the lovely bureaucrats in our city have made some new taxi laws. Most notably, every driver has to buy a new taxi when their permit comes up for renewal. This puts 80% of the city's taxis needing to be renewed by this fall. That means that when the leaves turn red, 80% of the taxis in our city will be brand spankin new. (Not necessairly clean, but new anyway).
Anytime I'm about to hail a cab, if there's a choice between an old one and a shiny new one, it takes about a millisecond for me to make the decision to bypass the nasty old white ones. Sometimes I even get flutters in my stomach and want to do a Tiger Woods fist pump when I see a brand new taxi pull by right when I need a taxi. It's happy times, I tell you.
Ok, so mom is a big fan of the taxis. The girls were too until the new rule.
Seatbelts.
In the old taxis, there were no seatbelts. Seriously. They just weren't there. That usually meant that even though the girls weren't allowed to stand, climb, or clamor about, there was still a great range of movement.
On the way to rachel's house last week, I made the decision and notified the girls: If we get in a taxi that has seatbelts, you must wear them. (It's never to early to turn them into responsible citizens, right?! Besides, if they lived in america, their fate would be much, much worse with car seats and straps and all.)
Samatha was delighted at the novelty of the seat belt, and emma too...until she tried to reach for something begged me to remove her seatbelt. You can see how quickly her attitude soured when she realized I wouldn't be changing my minds.


3 comments:
PS you can never pass up an opportunity to do a Tiger Woods fist pump -- for big things or small things. Please take a picture of this, and post it here on the blog. You will win a prize from me. Bonus points if you can get the girls to do it too!
Finally...mimi is back on the computer! Nana is still down..but she'll be up and running soon. I love that look on Emma's face due to her fate..but Mantha looks, I think, happy?? Her little face has a million different looks..all adored by mimi and G.
ok...I love these pics. And I know I have said it many times, but Emma and Holly....I have seen that same scowl on Holly's face a time or two.
Post a Comment