I'm not a bad mom. Honestly. I really intended for Emma to have a little birthday party, with all five of her friends present. But this year, the timing just sort of worked out weirdly, with us getting back from thailand just a few days before her big three year old day...and then, after we had done out little family celebration, it seemed even weirder to bring up the birthday concept to emma a week or so later. So, aside from the very fun bday she had with her family, she had no BIG birthday party.
That fact, however, did not halt my intenal drive to find a reason to have a party. I confess, it's true. I like parties. I like having everyone over. I like setting my table with pretty tablecloths and fun napkins. I even sort of like all the chaos (maybe that comes from being in a big family!). So it didn't take me long to find an excuse to make up for the missing party.
Spring was on its way, though you might not know it by the confused Old Man Winter in our city. I thought it would be the perfect time to have a spring party and hunt easter eggs, since we already had a lot planned when Easter rolls around this year. It was decided. A spring party.
Step #1: Can I locate easter baskets? I was assuming I probably wouldn't find any cute easter-ish baskets, but if I even found baskets that were close, I was prepared to decorate them. I scored a serious jackpot! My trusty basket store down the street had perfect baskets that were begging to be easterfied. Bought: 8 baskets. Cost: $12. Next stop, the sells-everything-you-can-imagine market, where I was on the hunt for ribbon. Another big payday. I bought tons of ribbon, from polka-dotted pink to manly blue and khaki. Then it was time to see if I could pull off a real-looking easter basket. After a few nights of work, I produced 8 easter baskets that I was quite proud of. (only six are pictured here due to technical diffficulties.)
I enjoyed making them and the kids enjoyed choosing them, and later on, hunting with them.
Step #2: Dig up the plastic eggs that we had received from packages last year. [Thank you, grandparents, for sending plastic eggs!] Total count: 28. Total kids: 8. That worked out to 3.5 eggs per child, and so we filled those to the max with jelly beans, jolly ranchers and m&m's and tried to calculate how many eggs we would need to make in order for the kids to have plentiful-looking easter baskets. Plentiful was my goal.
Step #3: Make eggs. Or maybe, decorate eggs. I have never undertaken this task before and I honestly can't even remember any time in my childhood when we used anything other than plastic eggs. Perhaps I remember wrongly, but anyway, time has erased all traces of things other than candy. Rachel donated to the cause an easter egg dye kit she had received in a package a few years ago. I received it gladly (reference easter egg inferiority complex mentioned above). I initially thought the eggs turned out disastrous, but as they dried the prettied up a lot! They turned out to be too sticky for use in the Mass Egg Hunt (hereafter referred to as MEH), but they made a great centerpeice.

I then dusted off my trusty Joy of Cooking cookbook (which never actually collects much dust because it I use it much too frequently for that!) and of course, they did not let me down. Specific and easy instructions left me with 80 dyed eggs just a few hours later.
Step #4: Pull this thing off without looking like it was a seat-of-your-pants operation.
Everyone showed up for the big hunt around 10:15am - well, except for the daddies who arrived early to hide the eggs. I debated for a while about which media device I should take with me to record the grand event, and initially decided on my way-fab camera. But then, right as I heard the elevator "ding" to announce its arrival to take us downstairs, I changed my mind and rushed back inside to grab the video camera. My reasoning was that sometimes I will wait forever, camera in hand, for the perfect picture and end up not enjoying myself. But with a video camera, you can get our token 5 minutes of video and enjoy the rest of the time.
Good in theory, except MY STINKIN BATTERY RAN OUT AFTER 5 SECONDS! I was not happy with my video camera, or my decision to change my mind at the last minute. But anyway, rachel got some cute picutres of the actual MEH:




After everyone had collected most of the eggs (5 were still missing, if all our calculations were correct) we headed back to our house to check out the loot and eat lunch.
All the kiddos in a quiet moment before they were allowed to start digging in their baskets:

But it didn't last long! Candy and children everywhere...
Samantha figured out that the eggs opened...
...and Emma figured out that jelly beans stick to your teeth!
The last activity on the agenda was singing an easterfied version of the Hokey Pokey, about it being a bunny hop. The crazy lady in the blue shirt led the singing time; here is a picture of everyone "putting their cotton tail in". Fun times. 
So the moral of the story is that we had a super-fun spring party. There was so much laughter and wide-eyed childlike delight that I felt like a smile was glued on my face most of the morning. If we'd had a big party for emma, I still likely would have done something like this, but not on quite such a big scale...but I'm so glad it worked out this way! The event made special memories for our girls, and even today emma mentioned to me, "Momma, I like having easter egg hunts!" I feel so glad and so thankful that we are able to do these fun, american cultural events with our kids. So, if you've ever wanted to send us things but didn't know what to send, at the end of your favorite holiday, buy up the clearance aisle and send us what you find!
9 comments:
Oh, what a great way to start Sun. morning. :) You were deprived as a child. I think you only "dyed" Easter eggs at other people's houses. :( Honestly, those plastic eggs were sometimes used and hunted zillions of times each year when you guys were little. Even with no candy in them...you thought it was always better than dyed ones. So..now I AM THE ONE with a "dye" complex.
I am so impressed with your baskets and just..the entire party! You have always loved parties since you were a tiny girl.
I remember when I had to miss your birthday party when KT was born early..the day before your birthday. I think I stressed to you that year..that KT was a birthday present for you. :)
I love you, Rach. All those children are darling and the Bunny Hop..I hope someone got a video.
P.S. All the faithful bloggers are still up for the "promised" video from the last blog or we'd even let you substitute another one. We love the eggroll family. Mom and Dad
Alright, the minute your mom starts putting my name on a 'post' I have to step in, and raise it up a notch (which means eliminate the syrup and sugar from the equation). Not dying eggs was not because we didn't want to or just didn't get around to it. No...this was a calculated plan by 'yours truly' to rid the world of nuisance traditions. First of all, why do you hunt Easter eggs? To get what is inside, right? Well, how many of us list stale hard-boiled egss on our 'treat list' for Holidays? Only stale hard-boiled families...BORING!!! We dress up our little darlings to look pretty on Easter (hats, dresses, tiny suits). Why should pretty eggs steal their thunder? My favorite picture of you and Dustin are in the backyard at Nana's clowning around in your Easter best. Besides, even the BEST dye job on a rounded egg usually looks like a bad 'Rodman tattoo'...a psychedelic smear of colors that looks like you just busted your laptop or took a bite of the egg and spit it back up. But I digress...chocolate and caramel and Krackles (oh my!) ...THOSE are to DIE for. Hard boiled eggs aren't to DIE for OR to dye for. Easter Egg dye is guaranteed to get on, stain, are RUIN whatever you are wearing at the 'dying ceremony'. Then you've got to go buy more clothes. By skipping the 'dye', you can save your money and spend it on...MORE CHOCOLATE! (can you see now why you LOVE CHOCOLATE???) Lastly, even though you did do without the dyed egg experience, don't forget that you DID get to experience the ultimate 'dye job'...TIE DYE. You and Dustin can proudly say that you kept up the 60s tradition of Tie Dying your shirts...and I suspect that the mess we created that Halloween Eve, tie-dying shirts, eliminated ANY possibility of Easter Egg dying, the following Easter. Plus, I suspect in the end, I was traumatized at Easter by my 'three baby Easter chicks' story, which I'll save for a future 'egg throwing rant'...
Love,
The Whitster Bunny
P.S. Don't forget, while the rest of the cousins were filling up Wal-Mart sacks with eggs, you all were styling with 'fuzzy bunny' baskets Easter in and Easter out. Let's just say, from my perspective, coloring Easter eggs is a dying tradition...or something like that.
Rachel--The Easter egg hunt sounds gloriously fun--and all the little kiddies were delightful. You and Josh are just wonderful parents to provide your girls with such good time. I have many darling pictures of Easter egg hunts in the backyard --remember hunting Easter eggs in y our yard --I believe Emma was very tiny--but she was so much the darling of the party. Next Sunday we are having an Easter egg huntin Mindy's backyard. Believe she has remade my old yard and it is lovely. In the ice storm we lost the three pink crabapple trees in the front--but last week Mindy and Larry re-placed them. They are already blooming for us. Mindy and Larry have already stuffed many eggs--yes I have dyded (hm) eggs--I always used food coloring I think. Honey, you are my love--Nana
One last thing..80 eggs. I'M SO IMPRESSED!! I don't know how much you think you are like me..but, I wish I was like you. :) Mom
Fantastic photos! :) Thanks for sharing! Our egg dying days are still ahead for us!!
Take care friend!
Erica
...and to add on to your dad's post -- eating hardboiled eggs makes you toot. And by *you*, I mean if all 80 of those eggs were consumed, you were personally responsible for all those personal emissions. One more reason that plastic eggs trump.
My kids just get the plasties too. You can fill them with anything -- and almost everything beats what is in a hardboiled egg.
...and to add on to your dad's post -- eating hardboiled eggs makes you toot. And by *you*, I mean if all 80 of those eggs were consumed, you were personally responsible for all those personal emissions. One more reason that plastic eggs trump.
My kids just get the plasties too. You can fill them with anything -- and almost everything beats what is in a hardboiled egg.
Rachel, you are amazing. Truly! I have been lamenting the fact I didn't plan ahead better this year. WOW is all I have to say. You found baskets and everything. What a super fun mom you are! I'm amazed at your ability to pull off American holidays in Asia. Teach me your tricks! Much love, Brigitte
Rachel you did a great job on the baskets! They look fabulous! The party looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish I could've been there. Thanks for being such a great blogger and sharing your stories and pics with us. I have started to entertain the idea of starting another blog again, but am yet willing to commit to it. You'll be the first to know if I decide to proceed with it!
Post a Comment