Tuesday, May 19, 2009

not contagious

I picked up a friend from the train station this afternoon.

After a short queue in the taxi line, we hopped in and told the driver where we wanted to go.

We chatted in the taxi, said our "good-to-see-you's" and started catching up on the events we had missed.

Several minutes later, the driver eyes me through the rearview mirror.

"Where are you from?" he asks me.

A common questions - I probably have answered it a thousand times.

"America," I told him quickly, then started chatting with my friend again, eager to resume our story exchange.

"Hasufhfddas soaidfasdfksldn kfhodi flknzx,znzlfaiosdufio?" he asked me.

(me thinking) What in the world did he just say? I didn't understand a single word. Maybe I'll ask him again...this doesn't sound like a question I normally get asked.

Asking again didn't help. But the third time did.

"So swine flu has entered our country because of people in America and Canada. You said you guys were from America. Do you have swine flu?"

I did my best to reassure him that we were safe, but I couldn't help but notice his suspicious glances through the rearview mirror...

1 comment:

mlambchcopper said...

Yes..I seem to remember interesting taxi rides! I am always asking you what is going around there..after I research the internet. : )

Love you...
MOM