Sunday, May 24, 2009

today

It's 11:24pm and I'm sitting at the computer about to bust out five or six blog entries to post over the next couple of weeks for you. What's the occasion for this late hour posting?

Yep, hubby is out of town. We've had a fun day today. Here's a brief recap:

Ate donuts for breakfast. This is unusual because I've recently limited family donut-eating to weekends. No more of this chocolate donuts every day for breakfast business.

Pulled out every toy in the house. Made bead necklaces with the girls.

Went to pizza hut for lunch with landlord and two other families I didn't know. Turns out that one of them is a brain surgeon. Ate chicken wings, salad and ribs for lunch. Didn't actually eat any pizza. How strange.

Rode all manner of kiddie rides, bought all manner of snacks and came home with two new balloons. One blew away just as we were walking in our building. The policeman couldn't catch it. Bummer.

Brain surgeon and his wife and 7-year old daughter took us home in their hybrid Toyota Prius. I invited them up to play. They declined. I asked again. They declined. I insisted. They agreed.

Girls played with beads forever while brain surgeon, wife and I chatted about raising kids, living in a cross-cultural situation (they briefly lived in america) and whether or not science and faith can coexist.

Seven year old girl tells me she can play the piano. I open the lid for her, expecting her to pound out a cute little melody with one hand. She curls her fingers, takes a deep breath and I pick my jaw up off the floor.

I give them hello dollies. Wife tells me they are really good, not like other american desserts that "make her hair stand up." Not kidding. That's actually what she said.

They leave. Clean up toys. Make popcorn for dinner. Put in a movie to watch with the girls. Decide it's not a good movie for my kids to watch - hello? fighting? blood? guns? No. Watch a movie about a princess instead.

Hugs. Kisses. Bedtime music. Daddy calls. More hugs. More Kisses. Samantha gets spanked for getting out of bed and throwing toys. More hugs.

Ooooooh, it's only 9:30. Take a bath. Watch the rest of movie I nixed earlier.

Dry off. Sit at computer to blog. Only 25 more minutes to make this day productive!

2 comments:

Swirl Girl said...

ha ha... what movie was that?
I'm loving the new look of your blog.

Your days sound like mine.... I am glad you are carving out time for a bath by yourself... I get one every now & then.... Usually I have spectators, though.

mlambchopper said...

Loved that you randomly met a brain surgeon. In all of my 52 years...I've never gone to eat pizza with a brain surgeon..or any other surgeon. I've been operated on by lots of surgeons..But again..no brain surgeons.

Guess that's one of the advantages of living in Asia. :) I did; however, have the pleasure of attending part of the T-Town Reunion. It was fun..and dad enjoyed singing. It was great seeing Debbie and Al..tell the girls we even saw Aunt Kristen. :)

I love hearing about your "days." I feel like I've gotten to be with you all for the day..makes my heart very happy.

Love you..Mom