Wednesday, August 05, 2009

one of those people

The truth is, there aren't many people that you could say "Knowing them has radically changed my life" about.  

But today, one of those people in my life is having a birthday.

This person has loved me since the day we met.  (I've looked back at pictures of me when I was young, and believe me, it couldn't have been easy!)

He has given his time and energy and ideas and support to anything I've ever wanted to try.

He has gone out of his way to love my kids.  He makes silly faces at them and talks in silly voices even when everyone is looking.  He shops for them in ways that were previously thought impossible.

Why has knowing him radically changed my life?

Because he's my dad.  And I have known more of God because of him.  

He was hand-picked to be my dad.  Set aside just for me.  (ok, and my brothers and sisters too.) I'm thankful for the chance to be his daughter. 

There's so much more I could say, so many ways I could elaborate; but in the interest of brevity and privacy, I will leave those things unspoken.   My heart knows them through and through.  I can marvel at God's amazing and surprising love because I have been so securely blessed with the love of an earthly father.  

I love you, dad.  Happy birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to shaft me and mom!! haha :) kidding love you

katie

mlambchopper said...

Rach...
This post is one that just shows others how "easy" you are to love and what a grateful heart that you have. But, more than that, I know how much it meant to dad. Thank you, sweetheart, for putting how you feel about dad into words. He does love you so very much and adores his grandgirls. Trust me..he does NOT stop until he conquers the shopping mission at hand. It is impossible to keep up with him..but, I do my best.

Two things that have meant so much to me was dad bringing me to Bangkok when Emma was born and then to Asia to see you and Josh and Emma and Mantha. I only wish we could've come to Asia or Bangkok again..but we shall make connections soon. He and I will have to give Abby special attention to make up for not being around. We already love her happy heart.

He will always be here for you whenever you need him. He's been the person whose held me up so that our family could operate on an even keel when I wasn't able to do much. You did steal his heart from day 1..as you did mine.

When I see Emma reading or hear Mantha singing, I think of how you were when you were little. You always woke up "happy" and that is how you have lived your life..with joy and thanksgiving in all things.

In the meantime..tell Miss Mantha Frosty is ready to have a talk and singing session JUST for her! :)

The most important things he wanted to do for his birthday were: box and mail out your package; help Holly get things together to fly out the day after his birthday; enjoy KT's exodus from Dallas back to the house; and, then cooking for all of us including your brother on HIS birthday. That brought your father true joy and fulfillment. Reading your blog was the ICING on the cake.

I love you...Mom