Saturday, August 01, 2009

reading party!

When the day finally came last month to put a red star on lesson 100, Emma was so excited.

She was excited she had learned to read.  She was excited that she got prizes.  

But she was really excited about cake.  She truly is my daughter. 

I was excited too, because I was proud of her and also because of the cake thing.  (So shoot me. I like cake.)

Emma wanted a "reading cake", which doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility.  What exactly can you do with a reading cake? I decided to go with a book.  An open book.  You know, because Emma's reading the book.  

It all started out well.  I made a chocolate cake, and had some vanilla icing on hand.  I was prepared to make the cake into a book. 

Yes, everything was going fine until I had to write on it.  I cannot write on cakes.  It can't be done.  Will someone please have pity on me and send me those freaky little sugar letters you can stick on cakes?  I. Need. Help.

It so happened that on the day of her reading party, all of our local friends were out of town or otherwise engaged.  All her family members were on the other side of the ocean, and even our house helper had the day off.  There was no one to celebrate this reading accomplishment with us.

So...since we weren't waiting on any guests to arrive, we decided we'd have our reading party as soon as everyone was awake.  And that was....um....about 7:15.  

Emma had to read her Lesson 100 again, just to "prove" to everyone that she could read:

...and then we ate cake for breakfast.  Yes, there are advantages to not having to wait for guests to arrive!  

Emma got a few new books, a music CD and a little princess doll for all her efforts.  That day, we read our fun new books and did lots of activities about books.  It's such a wonderful thing to read and learn new things.  This poem, from one of our children's poetry books, sums it up well:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy!Joy!Joy!--I am the first to comment. On Reading Cake Day--Emma, you are a grand girl. I would underline that if I knew how. Rachel, I am so proud of you and Josh for using these teachable years to teach your children so much. Rach, your cake was terrific--why would you need those nasty candy letters. I love you. Cake for breakfast would be appealing to everyone I know. Nana

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Emma....:)
Such a wonderful accomplishment.
And the cake looked great...YUM!
Cake is wonderful for breakfast...and a great beginning to a happy day:)
Love you all
Marilyn

Rachel W said...

Rachel,
This is so great! I think your letters look fine! And i had to laugh...when you told me you had cake for breakfast, I assumed it was some sort of coffeecake or fruity cake or something...I should have known, nope, it was real, live, CHOCOLATE cake for breakfast!!! That's so fun. What a great memory for Emma and congrats again on her accomplishment! Love you all, and miss you,
Rachel

sandra said...

OK, seriously, the next time you have run out of friends and are having chocolate cake for breakfast please know that we will get on the train and be at your house by 7:10am.

Way to go Emma!

mlambchopper said...

We are so proud of Emma's accomplishment..but, when we watched her read and heard her reading our letters..that was so exciting. Rach..she is YOU all over again in so many ways like the reading and the way she reasons things out. Nana just gave me 2 huge picture books of our family and a big (huge) box of pictures, too. I can't wait for you to see them and show them to your kids. As I cried and strolled down memory lane, I felt sorry for Holly who kept coming in and asking me, "What was wrong?" I think she thought that I perhaps should wait for a time when the pictures would not make me cry.
That time will never come..most were happy tears..just remembering how you and the other kids were when you were little and looking at dad and me together.


And the cake was GREAT!! I would love chocolate cake for breakfast...or brownie mix, or cake mix, or even cookie dough. ;)
Your letters are JUST PERFECT!!!
I love you!
MOM