Sunday, September 13, 2009

goodbye, summer...

Last week, I took my kids to the park in tank tops and shorts.  Not only were we reprimanded (to be expected) but they were right: it was cold.  

I drug out all the trunks and brought out all the fall/winter clothes.  Put away all the summer clothes.  

The air conditioner has been off for 6 days.  

I found $5 in the pocket of some jeans that had been stored in the back of the closet.  

Yep.  Goodbye, summer.

Goodbye, sunny and carefree days.

Goodbye, playing outside til 8pm.
Goodbye, tank tops and dresses.  

But...

hello, new clothes!  (That would be a 5T for emma! How did that happen?)

hello, fall breezes and after-dinner walks!

hello, changing leaves and light jackets!

hello, being gently warmed by the sun...not roasted!

hello, sweet cinnamon pumpkin candles!

And, in honor of the change of time, I'll be the first one to say that I'm glad last week is over.  Last week brought unusual trials and frustrations.  But, today is Monday.  I'm mentally starting over.  His mercies are new every morning, so my attitude should be too!  My to-do list is out, my house helper is in, and today is a new day.  

Hope yours is good, too.

6 comments:

Brandon and April said...

don't you just LOVE your new lens! your photos are SPEC.TAC.U.LAR. !!

The crazy webels said...

Aww - what a sweet post! Loved hearing what everyone was up to. I do hope you have a better week! Write and fill me in! :)
I suspect that when it is time to pull out the pants around here I will be switching Elizabeth to 5T as well! I have it all washed and ready - just have to make the switch. But for now with shorts and capris they are doing okay in their current sizes. You know - I have to put 5T dresses on Elizabeth because the 4T ones are just shorter than she likes. Crazy!
Wow - I had no intention of going on about the sizes my kids are wearing!
I can't wait to turn my AC off to save on our electricity bill!

Carrie said...

I have officially finished buying all our fall stuff (minus a jacket that will fit both Makaria's stomach AND her arms). I am not ready for winter though.

Kim L. said...

The summers here in ND are fantastic. I haven't used an air conditioner since I left OK. I will be very sad to see it go. With the coming of fall and winter comes VERY short days (only 8 hours of daylight!) and VERY cold temperatures. I bought 4 jackets of varying degrees of warmth before moving here, and I still have to buy a "real winter" (read: -40 degree winter) coat. So for the time being, I will enjoy the 70 degree temps, walks outside, having the windows open in my house, and the sunshine for a little while longer. Miss you friend!

Brigitte said...

If you still need a little bit of summer head down our way and we'll give you plenty of opportunities to keep wearing those shorts! I'm ready for October, maybe our long sleeves will come out by then. Ok, who am I kidding? Bring on November!

mlambchopper said...

As I read this, I felt like I was reading a book...Goodbye,Summer. You know when you were little, you and Dustin, Holly, and Katie eeked out every "drop" of summer that was left. No one wanted to wear jackets or quit wearing shorts. :)

I laughed out loud at those sweet pictures..thinking how happy I am that the 3 of them have each other to play with..I'm sure there is never a dull moment at your house.
That's a good thing!

Last week was a whirlwind for us on this side of the world as well. By the time Sunday came..things settled down a bit. Our coping mechanisms were kicking in. Please all Rach's sweet friends out there...say a prayer for her nana who goes in for surgery this Friday.

Not just because she is my mom..but because Rachel has always had a unique, special relationship with her grandmother as she did with her grandfather when he was alive. Actually, all nana's grandchildren would share the same viewpoint on that. What happy, beautiful pictures that make it okay for summer to go away. I love you....
Mom