Tuesday, September 01, 2009

no better ideas

Some days, I don't have any good ideas.  

The problem with not having any good ideas is that I still have children.  Children who like good ideas.  

When I don't have any better ideas, I bust out the paint.  Everyone loves "Free Paint".  Not because the paint is free, but because mommy isn't telling you what we're supposed to be painting.  

I also always do this activity individually; Emma was in the bedroom playing Leapster while Samantha painted.  Roles changed when Samantha was done.  I find that the atmosphere is much more free and creative and relaxed when only one is painting.  There's no back-and-forth about I'm-painting-a-bear-and-you-can-too, or stuff like that.   Plus, it's much easier to take pictures.  I really like taking pictures of people painting.  

I think Samantha is beautiful, have I ever mentioned that?


I really liked using my new lens and playing around with what I wanted to focus on - Samantha in the next two, and the painting in the third one:




She was hard at work the whole time...working quietly, but very exact.
In the end, she was happy with her work, and I was happy with my pictures.  
Sometimes, having no idea is a good idea.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a doll!! Gigi

erica said...

She is beautiful! So glad you are enjoying your new lens! It is my favorite too!

Kim L. said...

Great pics!

Katie said...

samantha van gogh

love katie

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you do "free painting"
My students always like those days the best!
You are so creative and I am do glad.....I love to hear about it.
THe pictures are wonderful...and Samatha has just grown up over night!
Love ya
Marilyn

sandra said...

I'm lovin' your lens! Great pics!

mlambchopper said...

I've been off my computer for days..or at least 4. ;(
How happy to come back and see 2 posts. Mantha is indeed a serious little painter...but, what a beauty!

G and I have been sharing our latest grandchild story which happens to be about Mantha and the demise of Rosebud.

As we have been telling others that she, without any hesitation or sadness, answered our question about Rosebud's whereabouts with, "She's dead." Hmm. Not a sad look even crossed that beautiful face. Which is, of course, why we had to quickly swipe the name and apply it to our singing, swaying, part-Hispanic, eyelash and lipstick queen, worm alarm clock.

As Emma, Mantha, and Abby were enchanted and mesmerized by that song which goes faster and faster..until you think you might throw Rosebud across the room..the best question of all was asked by Emma. As G had moved Rosebud across the screen, let her kiss the camera eye, and all kinds of hilarious activities, Emma sweetly asked, "Is she real?"

Bingo!!! A grandparent's fav moment of all time. Backflips, yee-haws, and high 5's were celebrated later by G and I.

No doubt about it...WE ADORE THEM ALL!!
My heart is full of memories that have to tide me over..and this one and Emma singing to me in Asianese, and Mantha singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy," are what keeps parents going who miss their grandchildren and children.
Even in Norman, Lahaina, or Asia...those moments tide us over.

I love you.......Mom

EGG's Dad said...

I have to ask, it's for Misty (wink, wink): What kind of lens? I got Misty a 50mm 1.4 and she absolutely without a doubt loves it! I would like a telephoto for sports and a micro for nature...

Happy shooting,

Steve