Thursday, September 10, 2009

oh, em...

My eldest daughter has the unique ability to exasperate me and entrance me.  

The exasperating times I will keep private, but I was entranced this week when, after Emma was told to go make her bed, happily trotted in there.  From the corner of the couch, I could see into her room.  I watched as she got all her things together, lined them up one by one, and then after folding her blanket and putting it its spot, she whispered, "Perfect".  Then she trotted out, off for a day of play.  

This personality trait of organization and diligence has come out more and more recently.  I've watched her sit and work hard, for long periods of time, to achieve an exact goal or an exact look.  I've watched her develop routines for the way she does things, like how she makes her bed, or gets dressed in the mornings.   It makes me smile, and I love learning new things about her.  

Today, I snuck into her room while she was eating lunch to take a picture of her perfectly-made bed, the one that looks the same every single day.  I wanted to document this level of organization.  From left to right, she's got sheep pillow, pink-cow pillow, green bunny, Christin the polar bear (or pola-bear, as she calls it) and a cute bear that she lifted from Abby's room several weeks ago.  Always in this order.  Never out of order.  
She saw me in there and asked what I was doing.  I told her I thought she did a great job making her bed and I wanted to take a picture of it.  She smiled a little bashful smile, and looked down to study her work.  Her face wrinkled into a frown, and she reached down for her blanket (that I had laid on her bed, for purposes of the picture).  
"Blanket is in the wrong spot.  Blanket is supposed to sit on this blue flower right here."  She put blanket down in exactly the same spot he's in every morning.  Who ever would have guessed I'd have a detail-oriented daughter?

Then tonight, she found a business card for California Pizza Kitchen.  She read it quickly, then handed it to josh and said, "Daddy, when we go to California, you need to give this to someone."

Oh, Em.  How I do love you!

5 comments:

Michael & Autumn said...

She's a girl after my own heart! ;) What a sweet description of her budding personality. Keep on writing, Rachel - we love reading!

Anonymous said...

wow.... I need someone like that to make my bed every morning. I hate to say it hasn't been made since the first day I put it on. What a shame. Proud of my little organized niece. Let's just say she would hate bunkin up with me :)


Katie

mlambchopper said...

Hmm...making beds. I know nana wanted me to be on "the elite bed making list" but somehow my budding personality opted out. When you were little, Rach, you made your bed every day. I don't think I even told you to. And..unlike my room..your room was organized. :(
Oh well. There are up sides to being wild and crazy and spontaneous. Truly, there are.:) We love Emma...however she turns out. All my kids...whether they were organized or not...when they leave home..suddenly their house has to be "perfectly" straight and clean....i.e., Dustin. :)
Love you so much.
Mom

Carrie said...

I love that face she's making. It's a "Mommy, that blanket is in the wrong place, it belongs HERE," face. What a sweet girl. I'm having her come over one afternoon to help me out.

mlambchopper said...

Sorry for my 2nd comment..but..I was thinking...could you just send Emma to come stay with Mimi and we'll let her organize me and then we'll shop, play with G, ride her little bicycle, make cookies...and let Aunt KT and nana spoil her. :)

I look at the picture she made me often...she and her little friends are welcome to come live with Mimi and G anytime!! :)