Sunday, January 03, 2010

the best $20 I've ever spent

Several years ago on one our our Thailand vacations, we stopped in Toys R Us. Because, really, even if your kid doesn't live in America, they still have to be a kid, right?

Down there under Geoffrey, Emma is doing the traditional Thai "wai". She was almost 2 years old at this time.
While we were there, we saw a little slide. It was cute. It was cheap. We'd never seen a slide in our normal Asia home. So we bought it. Never mind how we'd get it on the plane and home, but we bought it. The people behind the counter are trying to help Josh shove it in a box.
Our four-member family plus the stroller plus the slide plus the big bags from Toys R Us barely fit in a tuktuk to get back to the hotel. But we made it.
We ended up putting the slide in the amazingly effective Asian rice bag and we had no problems getting it back to our asia home.

I have never one time regretted buying that slide. Our kids have played with it and played with it and played with it. It's a good thing it's made of durable plastic, otherwise it would never last with all the love it's received.

Emma, 2 years and a few months:
Samantha, learning to walk, crawl, and hide with the slide - 9 months:
Emma, sporting a ponytail - 2 years and a few months: (and before our house was painted! how did I live with all that white??)
Samantha, almost a year:

Samantha, one year plus - going up the down way:
Samantha, one and a few months:
My mom and the girls dancing next to the slide - Samantha, 18 months:
Abby, too, has taken her turn breaking in the slide. This was at eight months - yikes!!
To this day, the girls play with that slide every day. They laugh at each other, take turns, go fast, go slow, go upside down, go sideways, go under, go over...it never ceases to bring enjoyment.

And I love watching them.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happy little jacks your girls are. Abby can keep up with the best of them, can't she? I get more excited as time grows near for you to come. WELL--NOT REALLY NEAR. We are wishing all of you a very happy New Y ear. We are planning to alter our hospital stays, emergency room trips, etc. Stay vertical is our 2010 motto. Love you all extremely--Nana

sandra said...

I've always thought it was so fun that you had a slide inside the house.

Rachel said...

SO adorable! I love all of the face shots at the end. And Ali had that Green flower dress when she was around a year and a few months too - it was my favorite!!

mlambchopper said...

Truly, that may be the best $20! Remember the elephant slide we had. Dad and I splurged when we bought that. I just asked him and he said it was $50 back in the day. When I see all the pictures of your little girls on this slide..I got teary.

I remember all the drama over getting this home...but you did the right thing!! Memories forever. Courtney ended up taking our elephant slide..not sure that was the right choice. But, at the time, I did! Remember that when you give it away..how very special that slide is!!!