Thursday, January 07, 2010

mixed reviews? not from me.

I hate talking politics and political-correctness. I think people get offended so easily, about so many things - and especially about matters of faith, which shouldn't be so surprising since the Gospel itself is so offensive.

AND I'm a people-pleaser. I like everyone to be happy and get along and like each other, so I'm hesitant to be the one to step up and say something controversial, but I can't just can't hold this one in.

I love Brit Hume. Seriously. If I ever have another kid, another pet, or anything else that needs a name, its name will be Brit.

If you are totally clueless about what I'm talking about, the jist of it is that Brit Hume was on a talk show and make a comment about how "that famous golfer guy" will recover as a golfer but it's unclear yet how he will recover as a person. Here's the clip - which you should watch if you haven't seen it already. I thought he was gentle, compassionate, and not judgmental at all. Brit came to faith through the aftermath of his son's suicide, so it's not as if his own life is free from heartache. I think his comments speak gentle advice rather than harsh pronouncements of judgment. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's mine.

Then, after people were criticizing him for his comments, he appeared on the O'Reilly Factor and had these comments. I was verbally shouting encouragements to the computer as I watched. I want to join the official Brit Hume fan club, if there is such a thing.

When the big scandal broke, my biggest sadness came from my fear that no one around "that famous golfer guy" would be pointing him to truth - real, true, life-changing Truth. Therapists and ad campaigns I knew he'd get. But Truth? I wasn't so sure.

And now - even though Brit isn't exactly in Tiger's inner-circle, the message of Truth has found its way to Him. Certainly not in the way I expected, but it has happened. Whether or not he listens or even gives a second thought to Brit's comments is uncertain, but I feel certain that news of this story has made its way to him.

What a merciful God to care about the normal people like us who have our own issues, but to care equally - not more, not less - about the megastar who has his own issues. Mercy! Sweet mercy has found its way to Tiger in a way that I doubted would ever happen. It is true - in Christ, redemption and forgiveness is found. God would still be merciful if this hadn't happened, but the fact that it has happened showcases God's mercy all the more.

The voice of truth has called to him in the most unusual of ways, and how I pray he will listen! Not for golf, not for ratings, not for anything except the glory of the great and merciful King!

I'm eggrollmama, and that's my two cents.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach... what a legit post. I loved it. So true everything that you and Brit said. He will only find forgiveness and peace through Him. You should start giving your opinion more often. I LOVEYOU!

katie

mlambchopper said...

You have Maui magic when you write! You stopped everything here...KT stopped..we stopped..and, I'm sure Holly will stop when she gets off work. So proud of what you wrote..and it is EXACTLY how I feel as well. When this story kept breaking..and kept breaking..my heart was so sad. When you posted, I just wrote from my heart that day..expressing my own thoughts that perhaps Tiger would never get the message that his life..his soul..his family...were all redeemable by the mercy, power, and grace of what the Lord Jesus Christ gives to each of his..REDEMPTION!

So happy as usual to hear your thoughts on whatever it is that you think about. :) You are our little sunshine in the far corners of the earth. You are never forgotten nor is your sweet husband or darling children. We long for you, we pray for you, and we rejoice and or weep with you in every circumstance that you make us privy to.

Even from the far corners of beautiful Maui, you have touched our hearts and we love you.
Momma

P.S. CHILD 4..BOY OR GIRL..IS ROCKING WITH THE NAME..BRIT!!!

Anonymous said...

Rach: My heart broke for Tiger and his family. Who cn help but God alone. In the darkest days of my life, He hs always been there for me. It is a gret consolation that my children know Him and depend on Him always. Love y ou--Nana

Brandon and April said...

I agree, start giving your opinion more often! LOVED this post. I didn't know about the Brit thing. too cool. thanks !

Rachel said...

I didn't know Brit Hume was a believer! I wanna watch that video but my computer gets fed up and won't do YouTube without me resetting it every now and then. Mental note: Go back and watch video!!