I've decided to start using spell-check on my blogs from here on out. I was appalled at the many typos I have made in my previous posts. My apologies.
Emma has started doing a funny thing. She has made the connection of "one more". For instance, when we are reviewing body parts, we ask her to point to our eyes. She will locate the first one, then say "one more!" as she finds the second one. She does this now for lots of things, ears, toes, her (multiple) stuffed puppy dogs. But perhaps the most striking example of how I am leaving a legacy with my child was last night when I was eating a leftover brownie. I gave her a little bite, which she immediately inhaled. Two seconds later, she said, "one more...bite!" Yikes! She's addicted too!
I DID manage to go out this morning with all our little bambinos in search for a friend. I carried mantha in the snugli and pushed emma in the stroller, and to my great delight, the girls were amazingly well behaved. We went to a few new streets that we had never been down before, and met lots of little kids emma's age. We bought some bananas from some friendly fruit sellers and chatted with a nice lady who sold water. But, no friends for Rachel.
UNTIL...we were crossing the road on the way home, and a younger looking lady approached me and in brave English, she said "cute baby". Taking this as a cue, we started talking. She helped me heave my stroller over some bumpy pavement - perhaps invoking a type of "damsel in distress" exception? I don't know. Anyway, we said our goodbyes and then parted ways.
But as we seperated, I felt really convicted. I had been asking Someone to give me friends, and here this lady was displaying a) not just a willingness to be brave and say hi (which lots of people don't even get that far) but b) a gentle enough spirit to help me out. To me, those show genuineness and openness. So - in true american fashion - I chased after her and breathlessly asked "do you have a cell phone?" She was really taken aback. I mean, we had a pleasant converstaion while crossing the road, but not really one that would have been considered momentuous or anything. But, anyhow, we exchanged numbers and it turns out we share a similar name (in this language). She seems really nice, and I think that maybe Someone just wanted to see if I was willing to be bold and try. Thankfully, I was - and who knows what could come of it. At least it's a start.
1 comment:
This also answers the age-old question, "Why did the Chicks cross the road?" Obviously, to get an 'answer' from the 'other side'. Good cell's pitch, is all I can say (and on a side note, an old teacher used to say, in the middle of a 'separation' there's always a 'rat' - but hey, you're using corn chex, wheat chex, and spell chex so you probably won't need that little reminder). Here's one for Emma:
"Eye before E, except after 'See One More' or after Brown E, then it's Mouth AFTER Brown E, and then it's STILL going to be 'One More'"
Professor Gee
Post a Comment