Yesterday was one such occasion.
Sometimes, if I am getting dinner ready and samantha sounds lonely and in need of some attention,I will bring her in the kitchen with me and lay her on the floor while I finish cooking. This seems to be an interesting perspective for her, and she enjoys the arrangement. Whenever this happens, Emma's radar immediately picks it up.
-beep, beep, beep. Someone other than me is getting a special privilege. beep, beep, beep.-
So Emma comes and lays on the floor next to mantha. Usually, this leads to quick and certain boredom for emma, who gets easily distracted by the colorful magnets on the fridge.
Yesterday, after a stream of happy giggles, mantha noticed that Emma was otherwise
preoccupied and was not paying attention to her special treasures (blanket, in particular). Samantha very sneakily snatched blanket for her own while emma was meticulously arranging said magnets.
Then, as if acting upon her boldness, mantha noticed that dora, the highly honored mexican child, was also left unguarded. As you can see, Samantha was obviously pleased with herself and her newfound possessions.I'm sure you can imagine that emma quickly discovered that dora had left her hands and she went looking for the culprit.
Of course, samantha could not go far, and would not put up much of a fight. Dora was quickly reunited with her righful owner, but samantha sure made a run for it!Then, what is this about? Right after snatching dora back from mantha, emma seems to notice for the first time that samantha has ears?!
Oh, you think you're going to take MY toys, do you? Well, how does this feel, huh?!Anyway, all that to say that even though there is little bit of unwillingness to share right now, they generally like each other and get along quite well.
I went yesterday to go check out the table that the factory made for me. I have to say that, though it is not the color I originally "ordered" (wanted black, but ended up with a chocolate brown), it is an unbelievably beautiful table. It is solid wood (something I could likely never afford in the States) and is perfect. Perfect. The wood itself is one of the highest qualities you can buy, and the grain on it is lovely. It's simple, classic, and...beautiful. Now, I just have to wait ANOTHER month while they finish up the chairs. But, at least now I know what I am waiting for!
This darling picture of Samantha was taken at the factory while I was checking out the table.This evening, Emma was being awfully quiet (usually a good cue to go see what mischief she has gotten into). I quietly looked in all rooms of our house to see where she was, and finally found her in the bathroom. She had opened a little wicker chest-of-drawers, and had taken the very bottom drawer out and put it on the floor. She had carefully put in her doll and bear, and then decided, "what the heck. I think I can fit in here too!"
I walked in on her, all scrunched up in the drawer, and just sitting happily. "Are you in a little boat?" I asked her."Yep. Boat."
I kid you not, she was in there for 20 minutes, just sitting in her little boat.
Tonight we gave emma another shot at her "big girl bed". She had been sent back to the pack and play a few weeks ago for a host of reasons, the most important of which was that neither she or we were getting the required amount of sleep to ensure adequate brain functioning. But tonight, she laid in her bed for a long time (didn't actually get out of bed - yay! but just laid there and babbled to herself). At one point, though, the babblings became very clear and distinct to me. This is what I heard.
"God. Thank you. Momma. Daddy. Johnny (one of josh's new friends). Mantha. Ok. Amen.
"God. Thank you. Momma. Daddy. Mantha. Jesus. Ok. Amen."
Could the day have ended any better? With warm fuzzies in my heart, I sign off for tonight. Blessings to you all.
4 comments:
I have just spent an hour looking at all the stuff on your blog. This is really cool. I was able to save the pictures I really liked to my computer to add to my slide show. I really like the one of Emma at the piano - perhaps because we have so many other pictures of family sitting at the piano.
I love your stories. You are a very good writer. You should save all these stories and write a book someday. You have a sort of "Erma Bombeck" quality. She was a writer in the days when I was your age - and she made all the mishaps in her life into stories - she was a funny lady. Anyway, these have a definite "sellable" quality.
Sounds like you are happy. We miss your family so much - but happy to hear you are well. Mindy
I agree....definitely "Erma Bombeck" style and I love to read it too:)
Marilyn
Hey Rach,
Great post! I loved the blow-by-blow pictures. And how sweet to hear Emma talking to God on her own. What an encouragement to your parenting!
Clara Anne liked the pictures too. She kept saying, "Emma? Mantha? DoraDora? Emma?" and on and on. Fun times!
Love, Rachel
Rachel,
My mother sent me your blog and this is the first time I've seen pictures of your girls. They are so precious. You truly are blessed.
Katie Yusuf (Marilyn's Daughter)
Post a Comment