I’ve noticed about myself that sometimes I have a tendency to think that my culture is better than the culture in which I live. (I know, this is a sad fact to have to admit, but it’s quite true. And confession is good for the soul, right?) Anyway, I have to say I have been proven wrong two times this week.
For starters, I have been able to do nothing to rid my house of cockroaches. I have tried the little black forts already mentioned, arming myself with a can of raid each time I enter the kitchen, and various other techniques already described in this blog. So my house helper, who is very resourceful, meekly approached me with a suggestion. She didn’t laugh at me for my various other approaches, just quietly suggested something.
“How about I cut up an onion and leave it on the counter for a while? I heard that the smell of onion drives them away.” So we tried it.
She was right. The cockroaches have not been around these parts for a long while. The fact remains that WE also do not like the smell of onions and each time I open the kitchen door, I get a big whiff of the stuff. But the cockroaches are history, it seems.
The other area that my cultural norms have been turned upside down has to do with samantha’s skin, and interestingly enough, also my house helper. Again, I have tried various remedies (both medical and herbal, professional and amateur) to help samantha’s skin get to be nice and baby soft, not like the hands of Paul Bunyan who spent his whole life chopping trees and riding his blue ox. Homemade oatmeal baths, vasoline, olive oil, baby oil…you name it. If it is supposed to help, I have tried everything.
Or so I thought.
The other day, my little resourceful house helper again very meekly suggested I try the “local method” for treating eczema. She told me that the climate here is so dry, that lots of children have eczema in the winter. She said she’s never met anyone that wasn’t cured by this method. And, she commented, since the other things I have tried are not helping, maybe I should try this method. What was it, you wonder?
Snake fat oil.
It’s true. Ointment made from snake fat. Yeah, those slithery things that are responsible, in part, for so much evil in this world. And they were supposed to help my sweet girl? I was highly dubious. Scratch that. I was MORE than highly dubious.
But, out of respect for my house helper and my desperation to find a way to make mantha more comfortable, I emailed my doctor and asked what he thought.
“Sure,” he replied. “We certainly don’t have a corner on treating eczema in the West!”
So last night, I opened the bottle, squeezed out some of the maroon gel, and applied it very sparingly to only the worst parts of her body. And I spent half the night praying.
When I awoke, I was amazed to see that the worst parts of her skin were tons better. They were still dry and rough, but not red or bumpy. Maybe I should attribute it fully to the snake oil, but I also know that the Lord had hand in it. (and I spent the entire morning giving my sob story to my parents, who I’m sure alerted every person distantly related to me to start praying as well!)
But, I guess the moral of the story is that maybe I shouldn’t be quite to ethnocentric! I still have a lot to learn! And who knew that snake fat oil would be teaching me...
3 comments:
Having several ethnic groups represented in my family, I totally understand your perspective.
I am so interested in this treatment, as several of the members of this branch of the "May" tree have the same skin problems.
We are going to look for it here.
As a social studies teacher I am always interested and amazed at how different cultures solve typical human problems.
I also find it mmportant and yet challenging not catagorize(not judge) people by the color/shade of their skin, or physical characteristics. In our area we have a large population of Hispanic, Indian, American Indian, and Asian folks and it just doesn't work to try to catagorize them on physical characteristics.
One of the schools that I visit has 23 different languages spoken each day!
The new "global" society really pushes us to move past some of those old perspectives we grew up with doesn't it?
Love you much
Marilyn
Dearest Baby Rach: Samantha is totally in my thinking; I know she will get over this. It certainly could be a problem with the detergent;;the dermatologist I went to for an itching and uncomfortable (well--itching), got me over it--but said wash with clear water--don't put soap on that area; so don't use scented bath oil or anything like that on either of the girls--or even you if there is any skin problem in-volved. I know I miss bath oil--but I have just had to forego (hmm)that. Love you four honeys) nana
since ive had my share of rashes-- i will have to get some of that snake fat oil and store it in the cabinet for when the mysterious rash strikes again. which im sure will be some random inconvenient time in the near future. but on a lighter note- my english teacher gave me a chance to rewrite my B- paper to improve the grade- she told me she wanted me to send her a copy of it for her keeping to show other classes because it was an interesting topic.. I pretty much made your blog famous. no need to thank me though.
Im sitting here in my dorm downloading Christmas music- such as "mary did you know" and "light a candle" by avalon-- wishing you and josh would be home for Christmas with emma and samantha.
Here are some memories to warm your heart. or just make you laugh
REMEMBER WHEN..
*I stepped on the star that went on the top of the tree and cracked it.. hah dad was so mad. I'm sure I just laughed.
*we had sleepovers in your room with all the kids? Me and holly loved making palaces.
*Getting up at the crack of dawn to find numerous presents santa had left. along with the notes that I just figured out like last year were in dad's hand writing hah
*all the trips to nana's and gpa rex's.. dad setting up the camera as we opened presents with "merry christmas mary" on repeat in the background..
I love you and ill put in a word to the man upstairs for sam's rash. as well as one for mine :)
Post a Comment