Monday, March 10, 2008

it's strawberry season!

We are deep in the throes of strawberry season here, where about 60 cents will get you about a pound of strawberries! Samantha is the family's official strawberry eater, and can eat a sinful amount of berries at each meal. It's the time where I scour my cookbooks trying to find fun ways to serve them up, though the are at the peak of sweetness right now and don't need much help to be tasty!

BUT...

Last week at Clara and Chloe's house, Rachel had a surprise for us! We were going to make strawberry jam! I have never made jam, never even thought about making jam...but now I know what I have missed out on all these years! Here's how it goes:

First, start with the raw materials (assuming you don't lose any to little hands, start with 4 cups of strawberries...)

...so that you end up with 2 cups mashed strawberries. Recruit yourself some good mashers and mash away!







Then pour your mashed berries into a big bowl...


Then add 4 cups of sugar (yes, you read that correctly...FOUR CUPS!) and stir well.



Then, I think you add one packet of pectin (this is the part where the other rachel took over and I entertained the kids...by feeding them more strawberries...so I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what the one packet of pectin means, but it sure made it firm up!) After one day of resting, the result was indeed fabulous! Strawberry jam for all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..the first thing I want to say is..when your computer is down..but when it finally comes up and you get 4 or 5 posts in one day...BONUS!!!!!
I am just beside myself and I don't even feel guilty. I just got through cleaning up Sunday's disaster in the kitchen..great food but no time to clean up due to all the activities of the day. Who can go without a nap on Sunday..even if it's just an hour? Holly dolly woke us up as she was leaving early to pick up some ski equipment from your sweet brother. Holly's first time on the slopes. She's going with a company out of Kansas. I am sad the famous ski teacher, Mr. "O", didn't get to teach your 2 sisters to ski. :(
I am totally excited about your teaching me about strawberry jam. This makes everyone in the family loving strawberries...except dad.
The pics of all the little girls watching how to make jam is priceless. I love you so much, Rachel, for letting us "be" a part of your days. It makes my day and I know everyone else out there feels the same. We love you all! Mimi and G

Anonymous said...

I think we might be going to a strawberry farm on Friday. I've convinced my teacher that I'm due for a field trip. Hummm...I think I'll definitely have to make some jam!

Anonymous said...

Rachel: Yes one time y ears ago I made grape jelly I thinhk. I, like you, was so proud it was embarrassing. Your blog was dear dear dear--the pictures were so wonderful. Love you Nana