Sunday, January 11, 2009

end of the season

Do you feel a twinge of sadness when it's time to take down Christmas decorations?

I do.  

I miss the soft light of garland and christmas trees, the jolly smiles of snowmen, and the sparkle of wrapped presents under the tree.  I miss cinnamonny candles and wreaths and wall hangings declaring that a Savior has been born.  The pretty ribbons come down, wicker stars and christmas trees come off my walls, the nativity gets packed away.  

And I miss it.  

Plus, I also hate rearranging all the stuff in my one teeny little closet that holds all my random stuff.  But that's beside the point.  

This year, the girls really helped me decorate a lot, and were excited about all the things we put up, so even though I took down a lot of it myself while they were napping, I asked them to help me take the decorations off the tree.  

There were some serious questions, mostly centered around the unfairness of taking down the decorations.  I agreed, but told them that new year's was over and we needed to get our house ready for the baby.  (In college, josh and I took down our tree every year during spring break...that would never fly anymore!)

They worked on their sorting skills by helping me separate kinds of christmas ornaments, and they did a good job, even if they were a little sad.  You can see they are still wearing their necklaces made during our pop-beads party the day before...

It's true...in less than two weeks, we leave for thailand to wait for the baby.  But still, I was sad to pack the holiday away.  Next year, next year...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach: I think everyone is sad to take down Dhristmas. After all the red and shiny and glitz, things can look pretty crab.

But what a sweet way to turn the feeling into excitement--getting rady for our baby. They are going to be so excited to have the new baby. Rachel, we are holding you close in our hearts--you and the baby. Keep us posted and close. Nana

Anonymous said...

Rachel: In rereading my note to you, I seem to have inhaled too much wassail--without spellcheck, I seem pretty limp. Love me anyway Nana

Anonymous said...

Rach...I am totally the same way. Saturday I randomly started humming Christmas carols. And, then, went to singing them out loud. I got several looks to say the least.

I don't like it when all the Christmas lights stop blinking on the houses and the tree comes down and I have to put away every possible thing I had put in the house for Christmas.

We drove by the schaffer house on the corner across from midfirst..and they still had their huge display up. I was happy. : )
Everyone else in the car said, "Why don't they take down their lights?" I told the group that perhaps they were out of town and on a timer..or..they still had the Christmas spirit.

I cannot believe you leave in 2 weeks. That is so exciting! Another baby girl for all of us to love.

We love you, Rach.
MOM