And just the very next day, February 21, we got to celebrate Emma's birthday. I have to say - I'd been looking forward to this all year, since the day her last birthday was celebrated in the hospital with a mom who could barely move off the bed. (Good thing I wrapped presents before Abby was born!)
The cake last year - bought at a random bakery in a mall - was pure nastiness. Even the girls took one bite and decided it was time to open presents. Since when do kids refuse cake?
I'd been excited for emma to have a special birthday, and since she was turning FIVE, it was destined to be a happy occasion. In our home, the rule is - no gum or coke until you're five. After all these years of waiting, Emma was SO excited to be allowed in the gum and coke club.
We had planned the whole day, except for a special surprise we hadn't told her about (more on that later). Here's how it went:
She requested donuts with a candle in them for breakfast:
(aren't those candles so cute? my parents sent them to me last year and I finally got a chance to use them!) Emma was so excited that her FIFTH BIRTHDAY was finally here. If faces could use capitals and exclamation marks, this is what it would look like:
After breakfast, we had arranged for her to get to talk to both my parents and josh's parents. She was quite the announcer: "I'm five today, did you know?" They knew. =)She had requested a simple (thank you, Lord!) birthday cake with dots and a five. Those were the only requirements - dots and a five. I even showed some extreme maternal sacrifice and used a tub of Rainbow Chip icing I'd been hoarding since josh's sister sent it to me last year.
Lunch was the appointed time for her coke and cake. I found a cute little tiny can of coke imported from Japan that seemed a perfect size for her. I also splurged and bought Strawberry fanta imported from thailand. (If you're wondering what's for lunch, it's chicken wings, stir-fried broccoli, and pan-fried tofu - one of Emma's personal favorites. I know, it's crazy, huh?)
There's the exclamation points again:

Our house helper surprised Emma by making her true favorite food - egg crepes - and even made one in the shape of a five. Emma loved it so much, she didn't want to eat it.
Here it is, the first drink of coke:
And then...she looks down in disappointment and pushes it away. I knew that would happen -and secretly? I'm glad. I don't want her to be as addicted to coke as I am! She felt a little guilty that she didn't like it. (Fortunately, she LOVES gum now.)
She was hoping strawberry fanta would be better. "It tastes like fruit snacks," she declared. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but she didn't want any more!
Once lunch was over, we busted out the traditional birthday song - in both languages, of course.
And she blew out her five candles. Five. It's written all over that cake, and yet...I still shake my head. She's five. Five.
We hurried up lunch because we had an outside appointment we couldn't be late for. The weather was strangely but fabulously beautiful that day, so our plans were perfect. The girls had NO idea what they were waiting for, but Emma was performing some type of big-sisterly-duty for Samantha on the sidewalk while we were waiting.
A few minutes later, Emma discovered what we were waiting for! Emma's dearest doggy friend - The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie - wanted to stop by and pay emma a birthday visit. (She was also accompanied by her owner, Aunt Becky, who is very nearly just as fun as the dog. Everyone loves Aunt Becky!)
The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie had birthday signs adorning her pink, jeweled argyle sweater. "Happy Birthday" one side read:
"Emma" The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie has great handwriting and decorating skills.
The plan was to go to a nearby parkish area and have a little walk. (Because, really...that's the only fun thing there is to do here. Go for a walk. How lame. But it was really fun.)
Lunch was the appointed time for her coke and cake. I found a cute little tiny can of coke imported from Japan that seemed a perfect size for her. I also splurged and bought Strawberry fanta imported from thailand. (If you're wondering what's for lunch, it's chicken wings, stir-fried broccoli, and pan-fried tofu - one of Emma's personal favorites. I know, it's crazy, huh?)
There's the exclamation points again:
Our house helper surprised Emma by making her true favorite food - egg crepes - and even made one in the shape of a five. Emma loved it so much, she didn't want to eat it.
Here it is, the first drink of coke:
And then...she looks down in disappointment and pushes it away. I knew that would happen -and secretly? I'm glad. I don't want her to be as addicted to coke as I am! She felt a little guilty that she didn't like it. (Fortunately, she LOVES gum now.)
She was hoping strawberry fanta would be better. "It tastes like fruit snacks," she declared. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but she didn't want any more!
Once lunch was over, we busted out the traditional birthday song - in both languages, of course.
And she blew out her five candles. Five. It's written all over that cake, and yet...I still shake my head. She's five. Five.
We hurried up lunch because we had an outside appointment we couldn't be late for. The weather was strangely but fabulously beautiful that day, so our plans were perfect. The girls had NO idea what they were waiting for, but Emma was performing some type of big-sisterly-duty for Samantha on the sidewalk while we were waiting.
A few minutes later, Emma discovered what we were waiting for! Emma's dearest doggy friend - The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie - wanted to stop by and pay emma a birthday visit. (She was also accompanied by her owner, Aunt Becky, who is very nearly just as fun as the dog. Everyone loves Aunt Becky!)
The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie had birthday signs adorning her pink, jeweled argyle sweater. "Happy Birthday" one side read:
"Emma" The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie has great handwriting and decorating skills.
The plan was to go to a nearby parkish area and have a little walk. (Because, really...that's the only fun thing there is to do here. Go for a walk. How lame. But it was really fun.)Samantha had a heart-to-heart with Aunt Becky while walking The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie.
We later took a family shot - minus abby, who was at home napping with our house helper - on emma's special day.
There was also a cute picture with The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie and her fabulous owners.
Dinner that night was grilled cheese - at Emma's request - and a Family Game Night with one of her new birthday presents, Monopoly Jr.
I am so blessed by Emma's life. I love being around her, listening to her thought processes, watching her figure things out.
We later took a family shot - minus abby, who was at home napping with our house helper - on emma's special day.
There was also a cute picture with The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie and her fabulous owners.
Dinner that night was grilled cheese - at Emma's request - and a Family Game Night with one of her new birthday presents, Monopoly Jr.
I am so blessed by Emma's life. I love being around her, listening to her thought processes, watching her figure things out. She likes to say, "In the world, how did you know that?" instead of "how in the world did you know that?" I laugh every single time.
She is thoughtful and helpful. She is quick to do jobs for me and takes joy in being a help to me.
She rests her head on my shoulder during read-aloud time. I wish I could freeze those moments.
She's working on - and wants to be - generous with her toys and her time. She's trying hard to practice being kind to her sisters, even when she only wants to be by herself and read.
Her heart wants to please us and do the right thing. Emma, we pray that more than anything, you will desire to please God and honor Him with your life.
She values beauty - in hair, clothes, jewelry, etc. Sweet Emma, I pray that you will keep learning what true beauty is, and desire that above all else.
She loves reading, learning, knowing, asking, discovering, wondering. Her quest for answers thrills me. She often asks me to "check it on the line" (meaning - check it online!). Emma, I pray that in all your searches for answers, you will end at Christ.
Her heart is so tender for the salvation of her friends. Her concern for them is convicting and encouraging to me.
We chose the name "Emma" for the meaning: Embracing All, Universal. Those many years ago, in our apartment out in the sticks, we prayed that our daughter would not become embittered by living in what seemed to us a "strange culture". We prayed that she would embrace it and take joy in the life God has given to her - regardless of where she might live. Those prayers have been answered in so many ways, and I rejoice at how well Emma lives here and loves her life and the friends around her.
God has been good to us. Exceedingly, abundantly good to us.
Thank you God, for Emma. You gave her to us even though I didn't think I was ready, when I wanted to keep doing "fun" things that didn't involve children. I had no idea the blessing this little life would bring.
10 comments:
Thanks for sharing Emma's Bday with us. Im glad she got to see her dog and her shirt was great for the occasion. Love you all GeGe
Happy Birthday Emma!! When you come to LA Susan and I will take you to Disneyland!
Rachel, I know it is Emma's fifth birthday--but the marvel of one lovely lady like Rachel Carollo strikes me as just too wonderful. Your birthday day sounds gr eat. How nice of your friend to bring th e dog, formerly known as Jessie. What a gr eat abirthday surprise. Rachel, you handled the dog situation just great--it has made an excellent experience for the girls over and over. Your cake and all the touches for a fifth birthday were just marvelous. The sweet girl that helps you has to be the greatest gift in the world. Tell her how much all of us love and appreciate her. My day is made--and I just opened up the computer to get Glenn Beck's address for Bob. Much love--Nana
Seriously getting jealous of your house helper. She even supervises naptimes? No fair.
I like the no coke or gum till you're 5 rule. I hadn't decided when they'd be allowed, but so far, Ali is convinced that Coke is spicy (I think I may have told her that, and she's pretty trusting), and that bubblegum is all yucky-like-under-the-table-bubblegum.
Happy Birthday Sweet Emma! I am so glad to hear you had a fabulous 5th birthday! It truly is THAT big of a deal!
We pray that your next year is full and rich and wonderful!
Love,
Webels
The Dog Formerly Known as Jessie was thrilled to be invited to the party. And the Aunt Currently Known as Becky was also equally thrilled.
Happy birthday, Carollo girls! Whew. I just caught up on raeding your blog. I am ashamed to admit that I have been neglecting you as of late. My loss, of course. You are a breath of fresh air. Winsome. A blessing. Thanks for sharing your life & sweet spirit with us. How I wish that I could walk this journey alongside you in person that I might learn to walk in such grace and love. The prayers for your girls touced my heart and convicted my soul. Thanks, friend.
I loved getting to see both of the birthdays. It made my week:)
I have been sick since last week...thankgoodness we have spring break this week....I can be home with mother and rest.
We send you all our love.
Marilyn
Happy 5th Birthday Emma! What a sweet, sweet day!
Post a Comment