Thursday, March 25, 2010

reading progress

When I was a little girl, I remember burying my nose in books for long periods at time, holed away in my room...just wanting to find out how the story ends! Reading is such an enjoyable hobby, and it brings the world very literally to your fingertips.

Emma has successfully been converted to a dynamite reader and will read anything she can get her hands on - books about Armadillos, Boxcar Children, the email that I just sent, the back of the cereal box, you name it. She loves to read, and it cracks me up watching her!

A few days ago, she was absorbed in the first Boxcar Children book but had the big problem of needing to go to the bathroom. What do you think she did? Yep - took the book with her! But when she was finished, it was hilarious watching her trying to pull up her skirt with one hand while balancing the book in the other hand AND keep reading the page she was on! Yay Emma!

Samantha is also well on her way to following in Emma's footsteps. A few weeks ago, Josh casually mentioned to me that I wouldn't be able to finish Samantha's reading lessons before we go to Hong Kong. He unintentionally sparked my competitive genes (there aren't many, but I guess there ARE some in there...) and we've been blazing a trail in the reading lesson book!

Samantha has done great even though I haven't been very faithful to post her progress. Maybe I'm more laid back and less stressed about it the second time through, but I've been pleased at how quickly she catches on and the enthusiasm she brings to our lessons. Woo hoo, Samantha!

A few weeks ago, she hit lesson 75:

and was scheduled for a prize. This was her prize, brought all the way from the shoe store in Thailand and delivered by daddy:
My girls love clonking around the house almost as much as they love reading!

4 comments:

Erica said...

Oh how fun! I love that the girls have such enthusiasm for reading. I too was/am an avid reader and I just assumed that my girls would be too. Elizabeth doesn't prefer to sit still long enough to read OR be read too. I am praying that changes soon. Anna however will do better when her time comes - I think.
I used to read on the toilet, while soaking in the bath, while driving (yes I did just admit that out-loud), I pray my kids love reading that much too... minus the driving part.
Hugs!

mlambchopper said...

So happy to see this post. We were missing those little eggrolls. I'm thrilled Emma and Mantha both love reading so much..and, Josh picked out an awesome reading party present. Those shoes are so..Samantha!! Was there a cake for the party that did not make the blog?:)

I know we all will love having the girls read to us! I'm sure if you took a picture of Emma in one of her "deep reads," it would look just like you did riding in the car with your little nose in a book..with all kinds of chaos and fun going on between Dustin, Holly, and Katie.
We love you, Rachel!
Mom and Dad

O Fam said...

Look out! I have a girl that I can't keep in books! It is GREAT! You know it is bad when for birthdays and Christmas she gets whole series of books, instead of one book. I have a good reading list for young girls and we have quite a few series if you ever need to borrow!

So proud of your girls!!

Rachel said...

Those shoes are AWESOME!! I'm about to start a chart like that for not crying in the night...I have no idea if it'll work or not, but it's worth a try.