Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Me = Away

Several months ago - when surviving every moment was tenuous at best - I asked Josh if sometime in the future, I might be able to take a day trip to the capital city to go shopping for gifts to take back to America.

Truthfully, I was thinking that if I didn't eat a plate of ribs from TGIFridays before tomorrow, I might starve...and if I had another child call my name again during lunch, I might lose my mind...but I didn't say that. I said I'd like to go shopping.

My husband, being the wise and discerning soul that he is, saw right through me. And, being the wise and discerning soul that he is, told me we'd plan it after his busy spring traveling season.

I cannot say enough how thankful I am for his wisdom.

Now, several months later, I won't die if I don't get a plate of ribs by tomorrow. I'm cheerfully able to handle the zillion needs that come up at lunch time. And I feel like time away would be a blessing, not a necessity.

Now it's time to plan a little get-away, and instead of using the trip as an escape, I'm able to view it as a spiritual retreat of sorts. There are a multitude of things I'd like to bring - uninterrupted - before the Lord, especially as we're in the last few months of our time here. I am excited about the time away. It's coming - today. =) I leave tuesday morning and will be back the next evening. [Husband of the Year volunteered for me to take three full days, but I turned down his very generous offer! He's taking off to keep the girls, and it's truly a full-time job!]

I will shop; I will eat. I will wander aimlessly and sleep late. I will hog the bed and the covers. I will wish that Josh was with me during hotel check-in and finding locations (those are always his jobs). But I'm also hoping for quiet times of prayer, meditation and reflection. The three big topics on my heart are my family (individual needs of my husband and the girls), the immediate future (how best to spend the next four months?) and the larger future (how does our family spend our time that serves Him best?). Will you pray for me? I've not done much of this get-away-and-pray type of thing, but I'm hopeful it will be a sweet time of fellowship with Him.

I'm thankful - for not feeling like each day is a struggle, for a husband that shows his love for me in so many ways, and for a God who delights in being found.

4 comments:

mlambchopper said...

I'm praying for you,little one. I'm thankful you get that time away to just take a breath by yourself...well you and the other millions of people wandering about over there. :)As you know, the Lord is near to those who seek Him. I know He is delighted that your heart more than anything..seeks His presence.

Anonymous said...

hmm I think you should have flown to Maui...for some reflection...and sister time:)
enjoy it rach. I love you and I'll be praying for you.
Holly

Anonymous said...

I'll pray for you of course... But can I be a little selfish here and ask you to throw up some prayers to the big man in honor of me? I AM GRADUATING in a little under 7 weeks and quite frankly have no idea what on earth I will do with my life. All prayers appreciated.

You are always in my prayers. As well as the girls. I hope you enjoy your little break. I love you!

Katie

Rachel said...

That's wonderful!! I've been thinking that a mini-retreat might be nice also. I hope you have a fabulous time, and I'll definitely be praying for you!