Even though we live in a place that is so un-conducive to playing outside/bike rides/outdoor activities, I still make an effort to go outside. Especially in the spring and summer, when after-dinner bike rides make my heart go pitter-patter.
I know it's not REALLY spring yet, but it was nice enough the other day to pretend so! And josh busted out the shorts, so I could almost officially ring in the season! We hauled out the bikes and the stroller out of the bathroom where they are stored, into the elevator, down the hall, and to the back of our building where there's a space where not so many cars drive. (There are still cars, but gradually I have gotten used to it, and my panic attacks that my children will be run over are much fewer. Permanent damage, however, may remain.)
I loved this picture. It reminded me of the Mallard family in Make Way for Ducklings. Except that we don't have eight ducklings, we only have three...and only two of them are pictured here...but I still like the picture.
If I didn't think Emma would drop my camera, I'd start teaching her how to do this. I really stink at the self-portrait thing.
My parents got these bike tags for the girls last summer - just like Oklahoma license plates!
They were happy to feel the wind blowing through their hair again. (I mean, they didn't actually tell me that, I'm sort of taking some poetic license with the story...but wouldn't you? If you'd been cooped up all winter and finally got a chance to stretch your legs and pedal fast and furious? That's what I thought.)
This summer, I hope to take Emma's training wheels off her bike. I don't know if 5 years old is a good age for that or not, but my reasoning has less to do with age than with storage and maneuvering considerations. With the training wheels on, the bikes take up a lot more room (and they're being stored - ick - in the bathroom right now). Plus, it's hard to make the journey outside with them. For some reason, I think taking the training wheels off will assist the journey. I might be crazy. Who knows?
Anyway, it's very possible that winter is really, truly over. Now, if I could just snap my fingers and those bikes would magically appear downstairs...
3 comments:
Can't express what joy it is to see the bike riders. Rachel, you lift my spirits right up to the sky. WE are so ready for all of you to come. You must hve a huge bathroom to store that many bikes. LOve you all--Nana
I love seeing those sweet little bikers..knowing dad is out in front to ward off..BAD DRIVERS. I remember the story you told about that driver that actually hit him with his mirror..and drove off. :(
How rude! Glad Josh was okay. Actually, I'm glad the driver did not get to meet Josh..if you know what I mean. :)
We have baby ducks in the lake in our neighborhood. I'm going to go make friends with those neighbors who back up to the lake. However, once they see Emma, Mantha, and Abby they'll have that "darling little girls" spell on them and we'll have automatic access to their yard. :)
Thanks for sharing these happy pictures. Emma did a good job on the picture of you and Josh.
That's awesome! I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that Winter is over. I've about had enough of it this winter.
Post a Comment