Now that my macaroni and cheese leftovers are gone, I can't ramble endlessly about how I enjoyed eating them for the sixth time in a row. But, over the last few days, I have been thinking about how blessed my life is. So, if you'll indulge me one last time as I share my list of gratitute:
I am thankful that Emma loves me...and that I love her. I know that sounds so silly, but truly I have been prying that He would give me more love for her. Recent months in the eggroll household have been difficult with Emma trying to see how far her boundaries are, and then see how far she can push them. Consistency has been much harder than I ever thought possible! But recently, it's like we've had these moments where I feel like I am really connecting with her soul - when she laughs hysterically during my belly kisses, and then in that moment where she sighs and catches her breath, she looks at me with such adoration my heart can barely take it...when she willingly reaches up to give me one last hug before she drifts off to sleep, and then pulls my neck close to hers...when she says, "Mommy? hand?" and then reaches for my hand, no matter what she is doing...it's during these moments that somehow it feels like the whole world stops so we can linger in that special place. (ok, so I am the one who wants to linger; I'm sure emma is just ready to get back to her toys, but still....you get the picture)
I am thankful for a husband who loves being the best father he can be to our girls. Every saturday, josh plans special time to take emma to go do something fun...usually just the two of them. Last saturday, I got to be in on the action! Josh took emma walking around the campus of his school and they crunched in the dead leaves. How fun that kids don't know that dry leaves crunch until you tell them! Emma had a blast walking around with daddy and crunching to her hearts' content!I am supremely thankful for my new piano! I love spending the evenings trying out new worsh!p songs, playing with josh on the guitar, and teaching emma about the high notes and the low notes.
Our sweet samantha has eczema, which affects the skin on her body by turning red, bumpy and rough like sandpaper a lot of the time. But, the palms of her hands are unaffected...and I am thankful for those special moments during the day when she curiously reaches up to touch my face. She usually lets her hands linger on my cheeks as she explores this mommy who loves her so much. This is truly one of the highlights of my day!
I am thankful for Emma's sweet spirit! She loves piping up "thanks!" when someone does something special for her, loves it when we are proud of her, and loves "helping" mommy do the dishes!! How can doing the ishes be boring when this is your company?Have I mentioned that I am thankful for macaroni and cheese?
It seems like recently I have started feeling sorry for myself and samantha because of her skin problem. I've been frustrated at my inability to do anything about it, the way I feel like it makes her uncomfortable, and the fact that I feel like it adds blemishes to what is otherwise a very perfect baby. And then, in those low moments, I realize that just because she is Samantha I have so many reasons to feel thankful. Truly, she is a healthy and happy baby with lots of love to give! I am so blessed by her happy gurgles, gummy smiles, and her valued presence in our family. And I think she truly is beautiful...I am thankful that I live in a city where I have friends, both foreign and now, more and more locals.
I am thankful that we have great families and friends back in the States. We are truly blessed that so many of you pry for us; you do so much to help us and show us that you care. Thank you. It isn't always easy living so far away from such great people. (Fortunately, Emma is getting used to keeping in touch with you! This photo is of emma "talking" to some of you via her little cell phone!)I am thankful that no matter how many times I lose my patience, my motivation, or my faith, He is always willing to renew me and refill me. After coming to grips with my gaping shortcomings as a parent, I have a new sense of awe at the way our Heavenly Father instructs and shows His tender love for us. Oh, the quest to be more like Him...!
I am thankful that you are reading my blog! It really helps me feel more connected to you all.
3 comments:
Rachel -
Great photos! What a sweet post!
I was just waiting for me to get a special shoutout.. i mean with every line I got more excited.. on the edge of my seat. waiting and anticipating. then i realized it wasnt happening..hah i guess i was under the category "family" ill take it though :)
I too am so thankful for family. When all else fails.. your family is always there. When everyone else is too busy or just doesnt understand. I KNOW i can call dad mom or holly. Holly + Dad+ Mom= perfect
translated as Advice+laughs+encouragement= one happy katie.
it was good talking to you the other day rach. emma and sam are beautiful. And about samantha--I ALWAYS get weird rashes on my face. So she probably got it from me. tell her when shes older to blame it on aunt kt. she'll still get the boys. i mean look at me.. kidding... well kinda. Thanks for blogging- it gets me away from my crazy world and puts me in yours for a little awhile. I LOVE IT. I love you too and josh.
i mean this is abnormally long... i had a lot to say :)
Rachel: Loved your message. Truly you have always been a thankful child; the Lord is blessing you with husband, children, family, and friends who love you so much. Few people know how to show their thankfulness --the world is waiting to hear those words many times. I knew Emma would be able to express thankfulness because you and Josh taught her tht from the very beginning. Try not to worry about the rash; I remember when Laura developed a really bad rash--we bathed her in oatmeal and all the various suggestions--of course, she has ended up with per-fectly gorgeous skin. I am so proud of your macaroni episode. Aren't you learning a multitude of things. I loved Katie's comment--what a perfectly precious little lady she is becoming. I love you--Nana
Post a Comment