We recently were invited by some of josh's deaf friend to celebrate his birthday. We were excited (read with thick sarcasm) to try out the new "western" restaurant they had chosen, but really were excited that he wanted to spend his birthday with us. The custom here is that the birthday boy or girl is responsible for whatever costs are incurred during the celebration...so our acceptance to his party meant that we had stomach him paying for us at this fairly expensive buffet.
Ok, bv - this guy on the left totally reminds me of you! I mean, not in a bad way, just his general sense makes me think of you! So we hope you are well, bv! You can figure out which one is the birthday boy...compliments of the bday crown we gave him! haha
Josh taught us all how to say "happy birthday" in sign language...
...and Emma wanted to try, too! I can tell it bothers her that she can't communicate with them, which is sweet. She wants to be a part of the group and welcome them too.
Emma and Mantha colored while we waited for a few stragglers to arrive.
The dude that reminds me of bv also happens to be a graphic designer, so he and samantha tried to collaborate on a few little projects...
We found out a bit later that the restaurant charges for kids over 1 meter. We had emma measured because 1) she eats like a bird, and 2) she's under or just right at 1 meter, and 3) we weren't paying. Plus, she was probably going to eat enough birthday cake that she wouldn't want any of the er, um...interesting looking food on the buffet. She passed the 1-meter test. 
I love this picture - no matter how old you are, who doesn't feel happy on their birthday when they are surrounded by people who love them? Plus, he recently has received new Life and it truly bubbles within him. What a great way to start this next year of his life!
Emma was just happy to see the candles finally blown out so she could eat some of that cake! The girl who cut the cake obviously does not have children...emma's peice was about as big as her head!
Here's the group picture - do you see my Asia-fied daughter flashing the ubiquitous v-sign? I cracked up when I looked through the pictures. The even funnier part is that for some reason, she's the only one doing it! haha!
2 comments:
Ok Rach, Emma looks just like you in the picture with her tongue on her lips. And I love the one with her huge smile!
I also agree...Emma does look like you in that picture. What a great birthday present for your friend.
Too funny about that peace sign. I remember how everyone there does it. Do they think we all do that sign still???
Post a Comment