Sunday, October 25, 2009

about fall

There are a lot of reasons why I really love fall.
  • I raided Hobby Lobby last year in America and bought out the entire "Seasonal - Fall" aisle.
  • Brown is one of my favorite colors.
  • Brown, orange, red and yellow together is even better.
  • There's something very peaceful about leaves dying and falling to the ground - and knowing that's exactly how it was supposed to be.
  • Pumpkins can be painted.
  • Leaves can be collected.
  • Cinnamon? Pumpkin? Spice? Exactly.
  • Can you tell I'm into bullets lately?
So, last year in America, I truly bought a lot of fall decorations, but I'm SO glad I did.  My house feels fallish and that's just fun.  

I also stumbled across these candles at Bath and Body Works - a little misleading because Bath and Body Works isn't mentioned anywhere on the candle.  

It's beautiful, isn't it?  I love the stainless silver lid that fits on top, the colored glass, the classy-whimsical designs on the front.  The descriptions of the candles are simple and rich.


These candles are pricey, $20 each (unless you can find them on sale - which can be done occasionally).  And there's nothing worse than buying a candle that doesn't fulfill its purpose in life.  

Fortunately, that is not this candle.

This candle will not disappoint you.

This candle will never leave you or forsake you.

This candle will greet your guests as they get off the elevator to your floor, long before they have stepped foot into your home.

Yes, friends, this is the candle you've been waiting for.

...but since I'm not a candle-seller and get paid no commission for purchases, let's move on to other fall topics, shall we?

I bought this at hobby lobby too, except for the fabulous paper mache pumpkin in the background.

That is not my paper mache pumpkin and never will be.  A sweet friend and her children brought it to my kids one friday, and I was instantly filled with a bizarre mixture of craft inspiration/jealousy.  I must have paper mache pumpkins, my mind raced.

We planned to do it a few days later.  I bought my newspaper, made my squishy mixture and did damage prevention exercises for the bathroom floor.  

And yet, I forgot one simple fact that now all of you know.

My daughter hates getting her fingers dirty.

The project was over before it began.  Emma saw the basin of gloop and simultaneously raised her eyebrows and scowled.  I made a pathetic attempt to convince her, but actually, after I put my hands in the gloop, I didn't want to do it either.

[Note: from this day forward, I will never attempt paper mache.  If, at any time, you hear that I am going to undertake a paper mache project, please spare no expense to bring me to my senses.  Thank you.]

The Slatkin & Co. candles give my ordinary Ikea candle on the table candle-envy until fall time...when the fab candle wreath comes out of storage. (Did I really use the word "candle" four times in that sentence?  My apologies.)  This candle is a wee bit small for this wreath, but the great and beautiful brown pillar candle I used last year is...used.   Seriously, is it not a gorgeous fall wreath?  I thought so, too.  

This "I love fall" home tour ends with our Daddy-comes-home calendar.  Because I'm a bit obsessive about the whole leaves-falling-off-the-trees thing, I created a calendar that would feel right at home in my world.  We've got a tree.  With leaves falling off it.  And when all the leaves are gone...you guessed it...Daddy comes home.  

I'll be the one taking off that yellow leaf, thankyouverymuch.
If fall is not your favorite season, and  you feel that my obsession with fall is a little over-the-top, here are a few steps I recommend (enter bullet points):
  • Go to Hobby Lobby. Or your nearest craft store. I'm not picky.
  • Buy the entire aisle of your favorite season.
  • Mail it to me or deliver it in person.
  • I will change my favorite season to your favorite season.
  • Immediate results guaranteed.

6 comments:

mlambchopper said...

Well, summer is my favorite..but, you're right. Nothing beats the colors of fall. The leaves around our house and everywhere else are beautiful. How witty to do a "leaf calendar."

You never cease to surprise me, wonder woman..marvelous mom..and of course who could "leaf" out...
CRAFT QUEEN?

I love you.
Mom

O Fam said...

I would like to come over and just smell your candle! Great job with your fall decorating!!

Brandon and April said...

you are so funny.
and she's right, I think you are the craft queen. the leaves calendar...soooo clever!

Anonymous said...

Rach, I must admit I have done my fair share of paper mache. It's actually amazing what you can create with it. I hope you will change your mind.:) For one of my "teacher" projects at school, I made a huge alligator out of chicken wire and paper mache. It was soo cool! The kids loved it! Oh and ps I love all your fall decor too
holly

Carrie said...

Please do not abandon me. I am so useful and fun. I just take a little time to get used to. Maybe you can get a paintbrush and not get your fingers at all messy. I know I come across high maintenance and complicated at first. But get to know me.

Forever Yours-

Mr. Paper Mache

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I would be glad to come teach you all about paper mache:)
My favorite project is at the 4th grade level making globes..but we do it outside in old clothes and barefoot so as not to have a lot of clean-up.
You could use rubber gloves to keep your hands clean.....
But I do so love fall...it is my favorite time of year and the GA trees are glorious!
I love the commute to and from work just to "drink in" all the colors.
Love you and your creative spirit
Marilyn