...but, it takes extra time to invest in their hearts. It takes extra time to explain something rather than say, "let's talk about it later." It takes extra time to do the things they want to do. It takes extra time to ask them questions that draw out their emotions and feelings. And sometimes, it takes a lot of extra time just to "be" together - with no reading lessons to do, nothing to review, nothing to accomplish.
One morning, I took the girls to preschool, and after dropping samantha off in her class, I gave this option to emma:
You can either choose to go to class, or you can choose to do something fun with mommy. Just you and me.
It's a good thing she chose me, because that's what I was planning on!
We went and bought some chocolate donuts and milk (and somehow, $20 more of other stuff I didn't even know I needed). We went to the beautiful apartment complex where their preschool is and had a donuts and milk picnic. I asked her questions. She confided in me. [Well, that's a bit overdoing it. She told me she gets tired of answering questions from curious strangers over and over again. But she told it in a really heartfelt and sincere way, so I think it's safe for that to be labeled it as "confiding"...right?!]
We found a baby ladybug. We held hands while we walked through the rambling and landscaped paths. Then we played on the playground together.
And instead of pushing emma on the swing, we practiced her actually doing it herself. I usually never have the time or undivided attention to devote to this activity, but today I did. The swing kept us happily occupied until it was time to pick up Samantha.
There was nothing earth-shattering about our outing, but my heart was blessed just spending time with Emma. No expectations. No agenda. No time restrictions.
Just swinging.
3 comments:
Taking time to be "swingers" is precious time:)
IT builds the bond and relationship that will endure into adulthood:)
As always I am so proud of your dedication.
Laura will be coming home on Thursday for two weeks and I am looking forward to some "swinging" time (think we will use the front porch swing):)
Marilyn
Such a sweet post! My favorite part would be the chocolate donuts and milk. I'm sure that was hard for you to endure. ;) One question though - where was Abby?? =)
That's awesome! I needed that encouragement - I've been trying to do more of that myself. It's so easy to get caught up in life and not invest, eye to eye with your kids!
Post a Comment