Thursday, October 15, 2009

agenda

Sigh.

Josh left this morning, for two weeks.  It's the longest we've been apart, ever.  Sniff, sniff.  

But, in order to keep my mind busy and entertained, I've come up with quite an ambitious agenda of things to get done.  

Here's what's on my nightstand for the next two weeks:
Educating the Whole-Hearted Child
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Mark of Lion series
The Memory Keepers Daughter
A biography of William Tyndale
*I've still never read the entire story of PW from her website, so I'm hoping to do that too.
*the book of Deuteronomy (for our read-through-the-bible plan we're doing together)

I also have these movies I've been saving up (since they're not action/adventure, they seldom get any air time in this house!):
Pride and Prejudice, the full-flown A&E version
Confessions of a Shopaholic (I know, I know...I can't help it)
Young Victoria
While You Were Sleeping
The Wedding Planner
Becoming Jane

I also have a to-do list that is forming in my mind, but it didn't require the level of advance planning that my movie/book list required.  

I'm hoping and praying that I also use this time to really invest my heart and time into my kids.  I've found that often when josh is gone - whether for the night or for several nights - my tendency is to "get through the day" so I can make it to bedtime and do something I really want to do, like take a bath, watch a movie, post on my blog, etc.  BUT I don't want to do that this time!  I want to actively minister to them and seek ways to bless their hearts while daddy is gone. Having now publicly mentioned that, I may have more accountability to do it!  

My plans with the girls include our first foray into paper mache (thanks, carrie!), some sleepovers in mommy's bed, a few new movies they don't know anything about, and a couple of fun fall outings.  They are also already very excited about planning daddy's homecoming celebration; I've told them it's great to plan ahead, but they were drawing up the plans before he'd even left the house!  

I'm going to also really endeavor to hold up the same standards for our home that josh has, even though he is gone.  Another dirty secret I have is that my standards of obedience and attitude (for the girls) often get eroded by laziness and preoccupation while he is gone, and I let little things slide that wouldn't normally slide.  But this is a way I can honor my husband while he is gone, and also set an example for my girls that their daddy is respected, whether he is home or not.  So - back to first-time, cheerful obedience!

Another little goal I have is to try to post on my blog every day while he's gone (and line up some future posts too), so hopefully the blog drought of 2009 will be over soon.  

Do any of you have suggestions to add to my list?  Books? Movies? Sitting on the couch eating bon-bons listening to Yanni?  What would you do to pass the time? 

8 comments:

Erica said...

Look at you all prepared and ready to go for the hubby being gone. Wow! I also always have a 'get through the day' mentality when Steve is gone. I love how you are prepared to make it a good time in so many ways.

Let's see... I LOVE the mark of the lion series - but give it about 4 chapters before you make a decision about it - it was hard to get into for me the first 2-3 chapters, so be patient. I sometimes have to avoid books when DH isn't around as I get so into them and then don't have time to read!
Oh - I did NOT like becoming Jane. Not sure why - just didn't like it. I did see 'the proposal' lately and liked that! :)
I hope your 2 weeks is really full! Full of good stuff. And - I can't wait to see all your blogging!!

Kevin and Becky said...

I would sit on your couch eating bon bons and listen to Yani.

Brigitte said...

Wow, you've got a full plate for the next two weeks! Sorry you have to go it alone for a while but I'll be remembering you...and will be excited to get to read more eggroll updates.

The Mark of the Lion series is my all-time favorite!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Child: You ain't gonna have much time--so don't aadd to your list--you have left no sleep time--I am sooooo glad to get your blog--but where are the babies? They are life to family here. I pray for Josh' safet y--I know you will miss him. I have been down that road many times--somehow my heart had a hard time being happy when Don was gone. But three little girls gave me much much fun time--but ie went so quickly. Love you, darling girl--Nana

mlambchopper said...

Well..I wrote this long and rambling message...but, it never showed up. I was afraid to hit the publish comment again, for fear that the whole page would've been taken up by my comment. :(

So..in a bit..I'll be writing my long and rambling comment again. The most important things were: Thank Goodness you wrote on the blog, and we are all lifting up you, the kids, and dear Josh. :)
I love you.
MOM

mlambchopper said...

P.S. GO SOONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim Lee said...

I wish I was there to watch Pride and Prejudice with you. The long version is my favorite! It's just as good as the book. I recently watched Marley & Me and really liked it, but it sounds like you have a full agenda already!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing...and I admire you so much.
I also so appreciate and look forward to hearing about your daily lives and those little darlings.
My life is good but so different that your postings are a breath of sweet air....
Mother is gradually getting weaker...we are looking forward to her 90th birthday in Feb. but most weeks it is just a day by day challenge.
Her memory is mostly gone and that is such a challenge!
We love you.....
Be strong....
Marilyn