When I think about the blessings of my life in this country, high on the list is my house helper.
She's my best friend in this country.
We talk about our problems, our feelings, our children, that golfer guy, and how to grow in our faith.
She loves my kids and thinks of ways to make them feel special.
She works hard and conscientiously.
She does routine tasks that free me up to play and teach my children.
We consider her as part of our family.
I love her.
And...also, she makes some rockin food. She already made good local food long before I met her, but over these three years, she's learned how to make some good American food. I want chicken fried steak for dinner? No problem. She'll help me get it all ready. Quesadillas? Quiche? Cinnamon Rolls? You bet.
But the real reason I have a house helper is because - shhhh, this is my big secret - when I make pie crust, it turns out like this:

Her pie crust looks like something out of Food and Leisure magazine.
Granted, my pie crust was made while holding abby and directing Emma where to poke holes in the crust, but still. Let no one ever mistake me for Martha Stewart.
So for all those other reasons, I love my house helper.
But the pie crust? That just might top the list.
2 comments:
I promise before you come home...I'll learn how to make the best pie crust. Your nana is the BEST!! When I was a little girl, I used to watch nana make pies and roll out her pie crust and then put it over the filling. She also used to make me tiny pies and take me to the park for swim lessons. Happiness is looking up on the hill, seeing your mother in the shade, just waiting for you to finish swim class so that you can have a cinnamon apple tiny pie baked just for you. I doubt nana could have possibly known that a 5 or 6 yr. old would remember sitting under a tree on a hot day with a little pie and lemonade. But..nana and papa always made everything a "party!" I know that you remember this.
I hope I have instilled in you and the other kids...that taking time to have a little party is the best luxury you can give your children. :)
I love your househelper, too. For those who have never met her, she is one of the most gracious, giving, understanding, and loving persons I've ever met. With us both having the name, "MIMI," you know we'd hit it off. I tried to tell her when I was there that her role there was so important to me. Her love for you and the girls makes my heart not be restless. Her cheerfulness and neverending energy and desire to serve...gave me peace.
Please tell her that we always pray God's richest blessings upon and over her and her family. I'm looking forward to seeing her again soon. I'm thankful you have a precious friend who comes right there..to your door. :)
That's awesome! So did you teach her how to cook your American faves, or did she buy a cookbook and figure it out herself?
Post a Comment