Gingerbread houses.
I'm pretty sure I said I'd I'd never do it again.
Then I posted the pictures as further reminder of why I will never do it again.
And this year, I've been swayed by peer pressure and I did it again.
But I did make a few changes to make Gingerbread 2.0 a little more manageable.
Change #1 - made much smaller houses.
Change #2 - used the real recipe for Royal icing, instead of that freaky concoction I made last year.
Change #3 - only went to one store to buy the house decorations. Whatever they had is what I bought. None of this running all around town business for me.
So here's how it all ended up -
The decorations I found were pretty good, plus I had the cute red, green and white stars left over from a package my parents sent me last year recently.
I'm crowning 2010 as the year of bounty, because I'll be gradually using up my stockpile of American goods, since we'll be headed back to the US in the fall. Why hold back when I can refill soon? The girls were excited to use the sprinkles.
We waited until Abby was asleep, because things are much more peaceful then. The icing worked great and things stuck exactly where they were supposed to stick.
There was lots of hard work involved, in between huge fistfuls of candy being stuffed into mouths. (On a side note, I'm amazed at how much older my girls look compared to the pictures from last year's gingerbread houses! I know it's been a whole year, but samantha especially looks totally different!)
By the time each girl had decorated their roof, their motivation, interest and icing were all getting depleted, so we decided not to push the issue. Josh put the finishing touches on each house with our family name.
They were each proud of their own unique house.
They wondered when I was going to stop taking pictures.
They started getting tired of posing for me.
But I told them I HAD to show everyone their cute houses. They agreed.
Last side, I promise. Then it will all be over. 
This time around wasn't nearly so bad. I might - just maybe - even do it again.
5 comments:
Awesome! I was always a horrible Gingerbread constructionist... my Mom did it with Ali for me this year. I really DO WANT to, though...
Their houses are quite wonderful!!
I never want these little girls to grow up..except in "stature and in wisdom." Is that the right reference? It is late here. The houses are little pieces of artwork.
And, the picture of Josh made me so happy. I couldn't find your family name sign..I'll have to re-read. Oh..darn. :)
Little girls especially need loving daddies who will just move heaven and earth for them. Disciple them, help mold their fragile self esteem, and allow them to be "princesses." If not..how will they know the type of person who will treat them respectfully, honor them, and cherish them. I believe THAT...is the substance of which your husband is composed of. Not that he needs my approval or "kudos."
I love all of you! Merry Christmas Eve. Thank you for spoiling us with a little extra post. I'll go to bed with "gingerbread" houses in my mind!
Rach- the gingerbread houses look great! Tell the girls their aunt Holly thinks they did a GREAT job! Julie and I tried to decorate rice krispy treats the other night to get in the Christmas spirit.. needless to say, ours didn't turn out very well. :) they tasted good though! miss you and merry christmas to the whole eggroll fam from maui!!!
love you, holly
Rach: Your house-babies are darling--by the time they are really old enough to make gingerbred houses thay will be worn out with construction. You are my precious family---Josh is getting so handsome, isn't he? Give him my love. Nana
Can you send your icing recipe my way? This year our house turned out delicious. I'm thinking about going even smaller for next year.
Post a Comment